Ping fails once then works
When I use ping to ping certain servers in our network, I get one request timed out, then I get three replies. Also I've been noticing some time outs in the network.
April 1st, 2009 4:23pm

Hi, Generally speaking, if the network is stable enough, there should be timeout when pinging. However, it is just a time out and it does not necessarily means errors. If you want to have a further research, I recommend that you post this issue in Networking forum, as we mainly focus on the general question about Windows Server system and here is not the best support resource for Networking, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Platform Networking http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/threads You can capture network traffic with Network Monitor and send it to have a analysis. Microsoft Network Monitor 3.2 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f4db40af-1e08-4a21-a26b-ec2f4dc4190d&displaylang=en How to capture network traffic with Network Monitor http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942 Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 2nd, 2009 12:22pm

1. If servers failed to respond the ping packets within a certain period of time, the pinger was likely to be notified timeout. Hence, it was not necessarily the case that something was going wrong.2. It is not recommended that servers accept & respond the ping packets, because it may possibly lead to potential attack such as denial of service. Please configure thepacket filteringpolicy or security policyto ignore such packets if applicable.
April 7th, 2009 12:26pm

hi there,a sniffer trace is required as vincent suggested to analyze the traffic.what happens if you add a static route to destination and checkplease make sure you update your NIC drivers which are important for ICMP communication.make sure your system is virus free.is this happening only with one client or many clients ?is this behavior occurs when pinging certain clients or any clients / is this happens with DG ?sainath Windows Driver Development
April 7th, 2009 12:50pm

Hi Sainath, Does it make any sense that NIC drivers would have negative effect on ICMP traffic in this case? I think it only shared a very limited possibility. Regards, Kenyon
April 7th, 2009 6:16pm

hi there,to answer your question , yes , it depends on how the NIC drivers are coded , if we have developed a wrapper / miniport driver then we would call the icmp.dll from the local system . when we developed miniport driver, we saw that we included the supported api to call the icmp.dll but any ways , i might not get into those details , as you said there might be very little interaction to NDIS, but icmp.dll is the main file along with the other devicessainath Windows Driver Development
April 7th, 2009 8:15pm

Are you pinging by name or by ip address?When pinging by name, it is not unusual to see this because of a delay resolving the address.You can retrieve the ip address with nslookup.
April 7th, 2009 8:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics