Permissions on a shared folder - Server 2000
A few months ago, we had to change our domain name. Since then I've had trouble setting up permissions on one of our virtual servers, running Windows 2000. This server is a file server containing many shared folders with different users having access to each. Some users have no problem, and others can't see the folders or even the server itself listed in their possible network connections. A specific example - I have a shared folder on this server with Share Permissions set to allow a group the ability to change & read this folder. The security for this folder has the same group with permission to modify, read & execute etc. I have 2 users in this group - one can map to this folder no problem - the other can't see if, and if we type the path in, he gets a message that it can't be found. Can someone help me figure out what could be causing this? Thanks in advance! Amber
October 25th, 2010 3:50pm

Try changing the path of the server name to an ip address and see if that works (DNS problem on the one client) Try using the fqdn as opposed to the netbios/host name and see if that works (WINS problem on the one client) -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4 http://www.pbbergs.com Twitter @pbbergs Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 4:13pm

Using the IP address worked - DNS issues. I was stuck on thinking it was a security issue. Thanks! Amber
October 26th, 2010 4:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics