Permissions for a file share?
Iwas wondering if someone might be able to point me in theright direction.I have a windows 2000 server machine currently being used asa File Server to host our software installs share.so the path would be \\servername\software$when im on a clients workstation (logged in as the end user) and browse to the path to run an office install i receive an access denied error without being prompted for credentials.the local user is added to the local users group. the permissons are seton the share so everyone grouphas full control. on the security tab the administrator account and domain adminshave full control.Shouldnt i be prompted for credentialsbefore being denied access?ultimately what i would like to do is be promptedwhen attempting to access the share as an end user, enter in domain admin credentials, and thenbe able to rightclick on the install and do a runas. any help is appreciated.Matt
October 31st, 2008 9:00pm

Verify that the user has the "Access this computer from the network" user rights (GPO / User Rights Assignment).Regards,Salvador Manaois III MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin Bytes & Badz : http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 1st, 2008 5:41pm

Hi, Please confirm whether you cannot access the share folder or you cannot install the software. While you attempt to install an application with a standard user, in Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, a credential prompt is popped up for typing the domain admin credential. However, such credential prompt does not occur in the previous version of Windows operating system. For a workaround, you may open a Command Prompt with the domain admin credential, then install the software. Hope the information is helpful.
November 3rd, 2008 12:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics