Permissions changed on Application Data Folders
This question is an "after" question. What I mean is I fixed it, but I am REALLY interested in how this could have happened. I was upgrading a client from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011. The Application Data/Desktop/My Documents folders from the workstations were redirected to the source server. During the migration from the old server to the new server; when the clients data is transferred, the Application Data Folders transfer failed. What I found was the Users were the owner of the Application Data folder, but in most of the sub-folders they either were not the owner and/or not even listed in the security tab. Several of the folders only had the Administrator listed in the Security tab. I doubt that any previous admins would have gone though an manually changed any of this, so my question is what could have happened to alter the permissions and security on the folders. What even more perplexing is that is was only the Application Data (and sub) Folders; the Desktop and My Documents Folders were correct. Anyone have any ideas? - John
March 5th, 2012 4:48pm

Cannot ensure the accurate cause. Maybe a local admin of the server system would like to access the redirected folder but did not have permission. Thus he take ownership of the folder first which changed the permissions, and set permissions back on the root folder. However permissions are not inherited to subfolders so the user lost permission on subfolders.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2012 11:18am

I thought about that, but what doesn't make sense is in some of the subfolders the user wasn't listed under the security tab, but some folders they would be. Some would have only the administrator (not even the Administrators Group). If an admin had taken ownership and /or edited the permissions of the Application Data folder and then switched it back; I would expect that, 1 - He didn't check the "Replace all existing inheritable permissions..." under advanced - which should have broke all of the sub folders uniformly, or 2- he did check it and again all security and permissions should have been uniform. I also thought that maybe some sort of script may have been run, but the permissions to one users sub folder didn't match another users subfolder (ie - adobe under user A was screwed up differently than Adobe under user B). I don't know, but I was scratching my head over it.
March 6th, 2012 8:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics