Permissions Issue
Hi, We are using windows server 2008 OS and Visual studio 2008. When user trying drag and drop .dll files in c:\windows\assembly folderwe gets"Assembly cache viewer-install failed" Access is Denied: 'FileName.dll'. User in Local administrator group. I knew thisdefinately a some permissions issue. i.e userneed to have permission to update the GAC...not having admin permissions. How I can give permission to user.Can you pls help us. Thanks in Advance, Srini Sree
August 20th, 2008 5:26pm

Hi, Windows server 2008 introduces new feature UAC (User Access Control) to protect OS from being attacked. Under UAC, accounts in the local Administrators group have two access tokens, one with standard user privileges and one with administrator privileges. Normally, the administrator runs under the standard user privileges unless we explicitly promote it. Please try the following steps to test the result: 1. Replace the Administrators group that is granted access permission on the folder or file with a manually created group or user. 2. Temporarily disable UAC. The following group policy in the [Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options] branch controls the UAC behavior. User Account Control: Allow Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account default setting: Disable This means the local Administrator account will be always run with full administrative privilege. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Approval Mode default setting: Prompt to consent More information about UAC, please refer to: How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;922708 Let me know the results.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2008 11:51am

Is there any way to resolve this without resorting to temporarily disabling UAC?
June 29th, 2010 3:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics