Permissions & My Document Folders
Hi, I would like to confirm that do you use Folder Redirection for My Documents folders? If so, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article for the recommended permission settings for Folder Redirection. Security Considerations when Configuring Folder Redirection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775853(WS.10).aspx To fix the current issue, you have three workarounds below: Method 1: Create a subfolder under the redirected folder in the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path. Method 2: Grant the user exclusive rights to the redirected folder. Method 3: Do not grant the Read permission to the administrator for the Desktop.ini files on the server. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947222 Regards,Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
January 14th, 2012 8:34am

Hi. If you are using method 1 it shouldnt be a problem. Lets say : \\..\redirection-share\username\documents The problem arises from in each My Documents folder there is a desktop.ini file, that says this folder should be displayed as "My Documents". And if you have another level of folders it shouldnt be a problem since only the documents folder has been changed. If you have powershell on the server writing a script that denys read for administrators on desktop.ini in all username directory. Then you dont have to do it one at a time. Oscar Virot
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 18th, 2012 1:54am

I have users that cannot access their user folders on a Server 2008 box, and some user folders on that same box have been renamed from their user name to My Documents. While I did make a permissions change on that box recently, the change was permissive not restrictive. Since that change more My document folders have appeared than before. Unfortunately I didn't document the change before, but it was set to DENY for some of the attributes of that permission.
February 4th, 2012 9:05am

Arthur: I am in fact using Folder Redirection for My Documents folder. However I think I have two issues. While I do have some Windows 7 workstations (Issue 1), the access issue also affects XP boxes as well (Issues 2). I will try the suggestions you've made and will report back. Thanks, Anthony
February 4th, 2012 12:25pm

Arthur: I am trying to use Method 3 to resolve my issue because Method 1 & 2 were already in place. My problem with Method 3 is that I have over 3,000 desktop.ini files on this server and changing the permissions one at a time is driving me crazy!! Thanks, Anthony
February 4th, 2012 2:59pm

Hi. If you are using method 1 it shouldnt be a problem. Lets say : \\..\redirection-share\username\documents The problem arises from in each My Documents folder there is a desktop.ini file, that says this folder should be displayed as "My Documents". And if you have another level of folders it shouldnt be a problem since only the documents folder has been changed. If you have powershell on the server writing a script that denys read for administrators on desktop.ini in all username directory. Then you dont have to do it one at a time. Oscar Virot
February 4th, 2012 6:01pm

Hi, I would like to confirm that do you use Folder Redirection for My Documents folders? If so, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article for the recommended permission settings for Folder Redirection. Security Considerations when Configuring Folder Redirection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775853(WS.10).aspx To fix the current issue, you have three workarounds below: Method 1: Create a subfolder under the redirected folder in the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path. Method 2: Grant the user exclusive rights to the redirected folder. Method 3: Do not grant the Read permission to the administrator for the Desktop.ini files on the server. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947222 Regards,Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 5th, 2012 12:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics