Permission problem in accessing installed files
My workstation is now a Window 2008 Server, and I am experiecing some weird issues regarding permission to files.After intalled a software, e.g. CruiseControl.Net, I can't modify the config files under C:\Program Files (x86)\CruiseControl.NET\server\ccnet.config. I have to espicitely add my domain id into the security list.I tried to add my id into the Administrator group on this server, still I have the same probblem.But I can create a new file and modify it. I have no clue what's going on, must be something related to the server edition of windows.ThanksJirong
May 27th, 2009 8:59pm

Probably it may be a GPO effect or the program itself might have been configured to install the way you explain to avoid accidental change of files....Try taking the ownership of the file objects and i suppose it should work....If it does not please do post it here....let's try to solve it....Regards, KOWSHAL H.M. a.k.a W@R10CK
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2009 2:15am

Hi, The behavior may be related to UAC. Assume that you open the config file with Notepad, please try the following steps and check the result: 1. Right-click the Notepad icon, select Run as administrator to open Notepad. 2. In the Notepad, click File, click Open to open the .config file. 3. Modify the file and save. For more information about User Account Control, please refer to:User Account Controlhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772207.aspx
May 29th, 2009 10:38am

It will work if I esplisitely add my id to the security.JirongJirong
May 29th, 2009 10:42pm

This approach will work too, but it's really annoying. Is there a way I can get rid of this problem?ThanksJirong
May 29th, 2009 10:44pm

Hi, You can turn off the UAC by referring the section Scenario 3: Configure User Account Control in the following article: User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx However, please understand that UAC is an important security enhancement. Turning off UAC reduces the security of your computer and may expose you to increased risk from malicious software. We do not recommend leaving UAC disabled.
June 2nd, 2009 1:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics