Permission / privileges to view SP source code

What should I grant a user / role to allow that user to view SP/table/views/etc source codes in SQL2008, besides granting DB_OWNER and / or DDL_ADMIN? Thanks

September 8th, 2015 4:52pm

I understand the need to grant DB_OWNER or DDL_ADMIN to view definitions. The question is, can we grant anything less than fixed DB roles to users that will allow them to view?
September 10th, 2015 4:55pm

I understand the need to grant DB_OWNER or DDL_ADMIN to view definitions. The question is, can we grant anything less than fixed DB roles to users that will allow them to view?

Refer related thread:

Permissions to view Stored Procedure Property

To grant permissions on a stored procedure

1. In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of SQL Server 2005 Database Engine and then expand that instance.
  2. Expand Databases, expand the database in which the stored procedure belongs, and then expand Programmability.
  3. Expand Stored Procedures, right-click the procedure to grant permissions on, and then click Properties.
  4. From Stored Procedure Properties, select the Permissions page.
  5. To grant permissions to a user, database role, or application role, click Add.
  6. In Select Users or Roles, click Object Types to add or clear the users and roles you want.
  7. In the Explicit Permissions grid, select the permissions to grant to the specified user or role. For a description of the permissions, see Permissions.
  8. Selecting Grant indicates the grantee will be given the specified permission. Selecting Grant With indicates that the grantee will also be able to grant the specified permission to other principals.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 5:03pm

That's helpful!

I'm guessing this will apply to Functions / SPs / UDF types?

Tables and views are still not viewable, correct?

• Edited by Ami2013 9 hours 51 minutes ago
September 10th, 2015 5:12pm

That's correct.
September 10th, 2015 5:14pm

That's helpful!

I'm guessing this will apply to Functions / SPs / UDF types?

Tables and views are still not viewable, correct?

• Edited by Ami2013 Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:13 PM
September 10th, 2015 9:11pm

Thanks!
September 11th, 2015 9:17am

Kalman is correct if we understand you properly. The VIEW DEFINITION permission gives a user the ability to see the definition of the object. You can grant that for a single object (GRANT VIEW DEFINITION ON OBJECT::xyz TO user;) or to a whole schema (tables, views, procs, etc) (GRANT VIEW DEFINITION ON SCHEMA::schema1 TO user;)  or to the entire database (GRANT VIEW DEFINITION ON DATABASE::dbname TO user;)

VIEW DEFINITION does not grant the ability to EXEC, SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE.

September 11th, 2015 1:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics