Performance rule: Performance View shows multiple instances of the performance data rules (only 1 filled with actual data)

Hello,

I've created a performance monitor which monitors the number processes on a server. Everything is working but when i open the performance view every rule is shown 3 times.

Once with both target and instance empty, once with instance empty and once with both target and instance filled. Only the fully filled one has actual performance data.

Is this something i need to configure in the view or is there something wrong in the modules?

The basis of the monitor is a powershell script returning a property bag, i used the MPAuthor example as basis.

May 29th, 2015 10:20am

Hi Edvin,

There are some alerts in SCOM which may seem to be targeted to one class but in the background it will be targeted to multiple classes.

For example: If you target a monitor / rule for Windows server operating system, Then there will be 5 - 6 monitors created even if you create 1 (Monitors now will be targeted to Windows server 2003,2008,2008R2,2012,2012R2) also client operating system if you have imported the management packs. So h\the Windows server operating system has so many sub targets.

So the same way there may be sub targets to the rule / monitor you have seen.

Also in some cases the manufacturer would have made the same alert names with different criteria as in you case above. So this is normal

Is there any issue where you do not get data for these ? If you get you can igore the same.

If not let us know so we can trouble

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2015 3:03pm

I went through a similar experience which was frustrating - then it dawned on me that within my MP application service model, I had a few servers taking on multiple roles (which is natural - e.g PrintServer + FileServer, etc). 

So when my performance monitors were run against the application classes - it hit the same server 2 or 3 times (depending on how many roles it was classified as) and generated the multiple counters.

If this is your case - one solution is to break apart your performance views - in the example above create one view targeting FilePrinters, and another targeting FileServers - the multi-role server will appear in each, but not twice in one chart.

June 3rd, 2015 7:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics