Performance difference : Accessing Azure Table store from Console App Vs Cloud service on my dev box (Emulator)

Hello - I was doing some experiment with azure table store and I found this.

I created a table (west us region) with just one record in it.

Scenario1:

I tried accessing the record from console application running on my devbox and it took consistently  400 milliseconds to access the record based on partition and row key.

Sceanrio2:

I created a cloud service (wcf - running on my devbox with azure emulator) and ran the same query and it took consistently 5 milliseconds (to fetch that record from the same west us region).

Question:

Why I see this difference? 400 ms vs 5 ms ? Console Vs cloud service?

-PPT

July 24th, 2015 7:43pm

Hello,
We are researching on the query and would get back to you soon on this. we appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,
Kamalakar
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2015 12:14pm

Hi PPT,<o:p></o:p>

If your console app is running outside of the Microsoft data center network such as work or home, it is possible that this is due to potential network issues. You can monitor Azure Storage metrics and compare AverageE2Elatency and AverageServerLatency, to identify what caused it.<o:p></o:p>

The following article has all the information that you need to troubleshoot this issue: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/#metrics-show-high-AverageE2ELatency-and-low-AverageServerLatency<o:p></o:p>

Please especially look at the following section:<o:p></o:p>

Metrics show high AverageE2ELatency and low AverageServerLatency<o:p></o:p>

Metrics show low AverageE2ELatency and low AverageServerLatency but the client is experiencing high latency<o:p></o:p>

Metrics show high AverageServerLatency

<o:p></o:p>

July 26th, 2015 12:55am

If your console app is running outside of the Microsoft data center network such as work or home, it is possible that this is due to potential network issues. You can monitor Azure Storage metrics and compare AverageE2Elatency and AverageServerLatency, to identify what caused it.<o:p></o:p>

The following article has all the information that you need to troubleshoot this issue: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/#metrics-show-high-AverageE2ELatency-and-low-AverageServerLatency<o:p></o:p>

Metrics show low AverageE2ELatency and low AverageServerLatency but the client is experiencing high latency<o:p></o:p>

July 26th, 2015 4:54am

I think we can simply ignore network here because as I mentioned in the original post i see the same behavior if i host azure service on my Dev box (the same box where i run conosle application). 

meaning

1. Measuring time to query the data from azure service hosted on my devbox gives me 60 ms

2. Measuring time to query the data from console app hosted on the same devbox gives me 450 ms.

Result are consistent no matter how many times i try.

-PPT

July 31st, 2015 8:43pm

Were you able to repro and understand the problem? I am very much eager to know the findings.
August 5th, 2015 7:54pm

You mentioned using Azure Emulator. Can you confirm and see the requests are not gong to the storage account that you created in the Storage emulator on your local box? If that is not the case, I suggest turning on the Azure Storage Analytics and share "Avg server latency" and Avg end to end latency" of Table transactions for both scenarios.  This article has all the information that you need to configure and obtain those data https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/#metrics-show-high-AverageE2ELatency-and-low-AverageServerLatency. You can email the results to us at ascl@microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Aung

August 7th, 2015 1:28am

You mentioned using Azure Emulator. Can you confirm and see the requests are not gong to the storage account that you created in the Storage emulator on your local box? If that is not the case, I suggest turning on the Azure Storage Analytics and share "Avg server latency" and Avg end to end latency" of Table transactions for both scenarios.  This article has all the information that you need to configure and obtain those data https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/#metrics-show-high-AverageE2ELatency-and-low-AverageServerLatency. You can email the results to us at ascl@microsoft.com.

Thanks,

Aung

August 7th, 2015 5:26am

Thanks,

Aung

Thanks,

Aung

Thanks,

Aung

Thanks,

Aung

Confirmed - Requests are not going to local storage emulator. WCF hosted on emulator  fetches data from real azure storage account. 

-PPT

August 10th, 2015 8:51pm

Sorry - I marked that as "not answered". I personally think somebody from MSFT should  try to see if this is a reproducible problem and  after that investigate this. As mentioned below "Confirmed - Requests are not going to local storage emulator. WCF hosted on emulator  fetches data from real azure storage account."

I will try to draw the scenario to make it clearer

Console Program on my machine -> Real Azure table store  : 400 ms

Console Program on Azure Machine -> Real Azure table store : 400 ms

Azure role hosted on my box (emulator) -> Real Azure table : 60 ms

Azure role hosted on azure -> Real azure table store : 5 ms

Question : What is so special in  console application that it takes this much time.

-PPT

August 13th, 2015 1:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics