Perfmon on Win2008 vs Win2003
Looking for explanation on this - we're undergoing load testing with our application (vs2008 C++ 32-bit, unmanaged) and we are seeing considerable difference in private bytes reading between win2003 and win2008 i.e. 25% more in win2008 (R1 SP2). We're running the 2 environments on identical hardware. Also, as if there is a memory leak (still investigating on this but so far we've come up empty with purify and umdh) when running on win2008 since the private bytes graph only seems just going up, level off, then up again, level off, and does not seem to stabilize. The perfmon on win2003 (same binary) we do not see this behaviour. The erfmon graph on win2003 shows oscillation i.e. goes up and down while in win2008 the graph only goes up, levels off, then up again, then levels off etc. Are there changes in perfmon between win2008 or something we need adjust to get the same setting as that of win2003? Or is this an OS memory management behaviour in win2008 ? For example I understand that on servers that supports power management, the the Power Management setting in Windows2008 influences perfmon CPU reading.Hopefully someone can give the same insight on this memory readings.p.s. - we've ruled out UAC since the problem is there regardless whether UAC is on or off.
March 17th, 2010 5:29am

Actually we're observing a difference in the "precision" level of win2008 perfmon for private bytes vs win2003. It looks like in win2008, perfmon (even Task Manager) does not show any delta in the private bytes for any allocation/deallocation of less than 500K. Is there a way to adjust this to match win2003 or is this embedded in the win2008 memory management and cannot be changed ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 18th, 2010 8:37pm

Hi For assistance regarding the Performance Monitor, I suggest that you post to the Windows perfmon and Diagnostic Tools forum: Windows Perfmon and Diagnostic Toolshttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/perfmon/threads Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 22nd, 2010 10:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics