Perfmon & SQL
Hello All,I am trying to set up Perfmon to log directly to a SQL2008 Server (trying to avoid binary file + relog). The SQL server is running locally on the same server I am trying to record perf counters from. Note that I am NOT using SQL 2008's data collection features, and I am trying to log non-sql related counters.I set up a SQL 2008 Native Client System DSN with Windows Authentication, but when I try and start my data collecter set I get an error message that "Call to SQLExecDirect failed with %1", and the in event viewer I get "Call to SQLExecDirect failed with .". The set is running as System, which has rights to the database. SQL does not log any errors or a failed logon attempt.I tried changing the set to run as a domain user, but when I apply the settings I get an error that "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."Any pointers on setting this up would be apreciated.Joe
January 21st, 2009 12:33am

Hi Joe, According to the description, the issue seems to be related to SQL server, for quick and accurate answers to your questions, it is recommended that you initial a new thread in our SQL server forum. SQL server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver/ Hope the issue will be resolved soon.David Shen - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2009 10:33am

The ODBC DNS 'Test' button says it connected successfully, and I am able to connect to the same database via Management Studio and ASP.Net. I have had no other problems with SQL, and the fact that %1 (in the message box) is "Call to SQLExecDirect failed with ." in the event log (i.e. no error message recorded) all suggest to me that it is not a SQL problem.Regardless, opening thread in the SQL forum will not help with the second problem: I am unable to change the "Run As" account for the data collector set to a domain user (with Administraotr rigths on the server). I get an error that "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."Joe
January 21st, 2009 4:42pm

Hi, Would you please refer to the following KB 953153 to request and apply the hotfix on the problematic computer? Error message when you change the running user context of a scheduled task to another domain account on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008: "The specified account name is not valid" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953153 Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
January 26th, 2009 10:15am

That error is not quite the same, but I requested/downloaded/installed the hotfix yesterday and rebooted the server with no luck. I am still unable tochnage the context of the job.
January 28th, 2009 4:43pm

I have the exact same problem. That %1 in the dialog box is a nightmare.Did you ever get this resolved?
October 8th, 2009 2:45am

I found out that the solution was to use "SQL Server" as driver in the DSN instead of "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" (SQL Server 2008) or "SQL Native Client" (SQL Server 2005), also be sure to use Windows Authentication as Joe.Sanders already did above. Also you must change "Run as" for your Data Collector Set in Performance Monitor to your windows user which should have the corresponding rights to the database and belong to the user groups: Performance Log Users and Performance Monitor Users on the machine you're collecting the performance data from.
October 22nd, 2009 2:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics