Perflib errors (event 1017);
I'm having a strange issue with Windows Server 2008 Standard (2008) and my Event Viewer. Specifically, the following services are causing errors in Perflib (such as "Disabled performance counter data collection from the "OSSGATHERER" service because the performance counter library for that service has generated one or more errors. The errors that forced this action have been written to the application event log. Correct the errors before enabling the performance counters for this service."):OSSGTHRSVCOSSGATHEREROSSINDEXOSSMATRIXPIOSSARPIAccording to the Registry, these services are tied to the following 2 DLLs, both of which reside in D:\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\bin:msscntrs.dlltquery.dllIt appears that these areservices of some sortfor Microsoft Sharepoint Services (I'd assume so, given that they are in the Microsoft Office Servers directory and I have Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 installed). However, when I try to perform unlodctr on these services, I receive messages such as, "Counters for OSSGTHRSVC have not been installed yet." I cannot run lodctr because I can't seem to find the .ini file for these services.Does anyone know how I could proceed? My Event Viewer is literally flooded with these 1017 errors, even though my system appears to be running well and Sharepoint is generally fine (although I get an error when I try to create a new site collection, probably unrelated, but who knows).Thanks!
March 26th, 2009 6:25pm

hi there, can you run dependency walker and check if these dll's are having any other dependencies ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 27th, 2009 9:52am

Dependencies msscntrs.dll and tquery.dll share:msvcr80.dllkernal32.dlluser32.dlladvapi32.dllole32.dlloleaut32.dllcrypt32.dllrpcrt4.dllnetapi32.dllUnique to msscntrs.dll:ws2_32.dllUnique to tquery.dll:dbghelp.dllversion.dllwintrust.dllauthz.dllWhat can you do with this information?
March 27th, 2009 5:09pm

Hi there,msscntrs.dll relates to shared perfmon counter and / microsoft PKM shared perfmon counterhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/226494i am sure that these files resides in c:\windows\system32 folderwhat happnes when you register these dlls regsvr32 /u tquery.dll and msscntrs.dll ?sainath Windows Driver Development
March 30th, 2009 9:57am

Hi, It seems that some counters have been disabled by the system. You can try the method below to recover. 1. Start Regedit.exe. 2. Click to select the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services 3. Select Find from the Edit menu. 4. In the Find What field, type Disable Performance Counters . 5. Click Find Next . This will locate a Performance key that may have this Registry value set to 1. 6. If the Registry value is set to 1, set the value to 0 or delete the Registry value. 7. Press F3 to find the next occurrence of this Registry value. 8. Repeat the previous two steps until there are no Performance keys that have the Disable Performance Counters value set to 1. In addition, you can follow these steps below to rebuild the performance counters: 1. Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories. 2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 3. At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER. Note that while this will repair the pointers to the performance counters, it is also possible that one or more providers are disabled. When this happens, you must re-enable the provider(s). You can view a list of providers and their status with the command lodctr /q. For each provider, there will be a notation of "(Enabled)" or "(Disabled)" next to the provider name. The list can be quite long. To re-enable a provider, use the command lodctr /e:<provider name> Best regards, Vincent Hu
March 30th, 2009 1:03pm

Hi there,msscntrs.dll relates to shared perfmon counter and / microsoft PKM shared perfmon counterhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/226494i am sure that these files resides in c:\windows\system32 folderwhat happnes when you register these dlls regsvr32 /u tquery.dll and msscntrs.dll ? sainath Windows Driver Development When I try to register the dlls using regsvr32 /u, Iget:The module "msscntrs.dll" failed to load ... The specified module could not be found.The two.dlls are not in my system32 folder. They are on my second partition, so D:\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\bin. Should I copy them to the system32 folder and try again?Also, regarding Vincent Hu's post, yes, I found Registry entries with 1, and I changed them to 0. I also ran lodctr /q, found that the counters were disabled, so I enabled them using lodctr /e:, after which they were listed as enabled. However, shortly thereafter, they reverted to disabled and my Event Viewer continues to gather errors like the ones I described in my first post.
March 30th, 2009 9:57pm

Hi, It seems that some counters have been disabled by the system. You can try the method below to recover. 1. Start Regedit.exe. 2. Click to select the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services 3. Select Find from the Edit menu. 4. In the Find What field, type Disable Performance Counters . 5. Click Find Next . This will locate a Performance key that may have this Registry value set to 1. 6. If the Registry value is set to 1, set the value to 0 or delete the Registry value. 7. Press F3 to find the next occurrence of this Registry value. 8. Repeat the previous two steps until there are no Performance keys that have the Disable Performance Counters value set to 1. In addition, you can follow these steps below to rebuild the performance counters: 1. Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories. 2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 3. At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER. Note that while this will repair the pointers to the performance counters, it is also possible that one or more providers are disabled. When this happens, you must re-enable the provider(s). You can view a list of providers and their status with the command lodctr /q. For each provider, there will be a notation of "(Enabled)" or "(Disabled)" next to the provider name. The list can be quite long. To re-enable a provider, use the command lodctr /e:<provider name> Best regards, Vincent Hu I'm not sure if you'll see the post I made above in response to another post, but in summary:I found Registry entries with 1, and I changed them to 0. I also ran lodctr /q, found that the counters were disabled, so I enabled them using lodctr /e:, after which they were listed as enabled. However, shortly thereafter, they reverted to disabled and my Event Viewer continues to gather errors like the ones I described in my first post.NOTE: Could this be related to my partitions and issues with Sharepoint? I have Microsoft Office Servers folders on C:\Program Filesand D:\. I am relatively sure that my only active Sharepoint sites run on D:. The dlls themselves exist as duplicates in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN and D:\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Bin, but according to the System Registry, the counters use the dlls in D:\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Bin.
March 30th, 2009 10:02pm

Interesting discovery:Could this be a case of poor Sharepoint setup or conflicts? Here's what is set up, according to IIS and the Registry: -Sharepoint site and Central Admin running from C:\inetpub... -Office Server Web Services is running from D:\Microsoft Office Services\12.0\WebServices\Root -mscntrs.dll and tquery.dll are running from D:\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Bin but also exist in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN (they are not in the C:\windows\system32 folder, however) When I try to do a regsvr32 /u on mscntrs.dll and tquery.dll, I get an error (The module "msscntrs.dll" failed to load ... The specified module could not be found). When I try to repair my performance counters with lodctr after removing the Registry keys that were disabling them(/r to repair, /e: to enable), they are automatically disabledand the Event Viewer lists another setoferrors with the services (such as OSSGATHERER) every 30 minutes. If I run lodctr /r after manually enabling with lodctr /e:, the countersbecome disabled. Unlike the other counters, there is no information listed under them when I uselodctr /q, except for the dll location.There are similar counters (Wss_ instead of OSS_) for theidentical dlls on C:, and these counters are alwaysenabled and have details underneath when I use lodctr /q. Could These counters with identicaldlls in separate locations beconflicting with one another? How can I resolve it? This Sharepoint conflict could explain my trouble inadding a new site collection toSharepoint.I am lost!
March 30th, 2009 11:03pm

Hi, seems it's relevant to sharepoint, you can post this question in sharepoint forum.
March 31st, 2009 4:53am

If Vincent Hu or Sainath (or anyone else!) has any feedback on my latest posts, I'd love to hear it! I am still confused, unfortunately.
March 31st, 2009 5:28pm

Hi, I am googling a lot, but without lucky.I suggest that you initial a post in sharepoint forum, seems there are some conflict.
April 1st, 2009 4:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics