Password Minimum Length Not Available
The box where you change the minimum length of passwords in Group Policy Editor is grey'd out and I'm unable to change it.  I'm logged on as the Domain Administrator in a remote session.
June 29th, 2015 10:29pm

Hello,

Did you login with the domain administrator of that respective domain?

Please ensure that you login with the domain administrator / enterprise administrator of the respective domain !

Regards,

Mitul aka v2min

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 2:01pm

Thanks for the reply.  As I said in my original post, I was logged on as the domain administrator (we have only one domain so it must be the respective domain).  Other policies that have counters (e.g. like minimum password age) are available and can be changed.  Is there another policy that affects the minimum password length?
June 30th, 2015 2:46pm

Did you observe that after opening GPEDIT.msc or while updating and group policy??

As on the domain controller while opening gpedit.msc you would observe the same...

July 1st, 2015 5:34pm

Thanks again for the reply.  I see the issue after I've opened GPEdit.msc and navigated to: Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Account Policy>Password Policy>Minimum password length>Properties (Local Security Setting tab).

I inherited this server. Someone else set it up and I've found some unique changes in other areas (e.g. Terminal Services port changed from 3389).  Is it possible that they have disabled the Domain Administrators permission to change the minimum password length?  Again, remember I can change other settings in Password Policy.

July 2nd, 2015 12:40pm

Hi,

Before going further, sorry for the late response.

>>I see the issue after I've opened GPEdit.msc and navigated to: Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Account Policy>Password Policy>Minimum password length>Properties (Local Security Setting tab).

Based on the description, we can run command gpreuslt/h report.html with admin privileges to collect group policy result report to check what account policies have been applied in our domain.  If the Minimum Password Length setting has been configured in domain GPO, then it's right and normal that we can't edit it via local GPO. In a domain, account policies should be controlled at domain level, and once configured, we can't edit them via local GPO.

Best regards,
Fran

July 9th, 2015 4:34am

Hello,  thanks for the reply.  I'm a little confused if I run %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc I on the sever I get the Local policy.  If I run Group Policy Management in the Administrative Tools I get Default Domain Policy.  Is there a switch to run gpedit and get the Default Domain Policy?  It in the Default Domain Policy I can change the minimum password length.
July 9th, 2015 10:48am

Hi,

>> Is there a switch to run gpedit and get the Default Domain Policy? 

Sorry, there is no such switch. However, Gpedit.msc is to open local group policy editor whereas GPMC.msc is to open the editing console for domain GPOs.

>>It in the Default Domain Policy I can change the minimum password length

This tells me that there is no issue regarding editing the policy setting.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

July 9th, 2015 9:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics