Page cannot be displayed on specific website until DNS cache is cleared on server 2003
On a specific website in the entire location we get "page cannot be displayed" on all client computers. kind of like the website is down. This will occur until DNS cache is cleared on our server which is running server 2003. This has happened once before in another location with a different website but it never did it again after I cleared the cache. Main problem is that it keeps coming back every month or two and it has been the same website.
December 22nd, 2010 10:25am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Is that website internal or external ? How you set name resolution in your environment? Before you cleaned DNS cache, have you tested by using nslookup utility and would system return correct IP address of that website ? It’s appreciate that discuss this issue in detail. Some general troubleshooting methods for name resolution issue could be found in the link below: Diagnosing Name Resolution Problems http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959340.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 22nd, 2010 8:15pm

The website is external. This is an AD environment with only one server in this particular location. The server is running Windows Server 2003 with the following services: AD, DNS, WINS, & DHCP. Clients are setup with local DNS and WINS server. I did not use NSLOOKUP and will do so the next time the issue occurs. I am almost 100% sure that it is getting the correct IP address, but I will confirm it. It seems like the cached record for that particular website keeps getting corrupted. I will investigate further when the problem comes back. Any additional information on solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
December 23rd, 2010 1:07pm

Hi, Thanks for update. So how does the internet name resolution be implemented on this server, Root Hints or Forwarders? How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323380 Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 23rd, 2010 11:23pm

It uses root hints for internet name resolution.
December 24th, 2010 11:45am

You mentioned that you are running AD. Is this website you are having trouble with, YOUR corporate external website? If so, read over this summary: Active Directory Domain Name Considerations when Using the Same Internal and External Domain Name http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/active-directory-domain-name.html If not, you'll need to provide a bit more information including the results from NSLOOKUP from the workstation experiencing the problem. The results from IPCONFIG /all may be of use to help you further troubleshoot. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 25th, 2010 12:26pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Please try to turn off lame delegation timeout by performing the command below and check if this issue would be solved: dnscmd /Config /LameDelegationTtl 0 You may also try setting DNS to forward internet domain query to other internet DNS servers. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 26th, 2010 9:30pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 27th, 2010 8:01pm

The problem is not our external website. It may take about a month for the issue to come back. I also have the exact configuration at all other locations. Once the problem comes back I will try everything that you posted and post my findings.
December 28th, 2010 3:26pm

Question, this may be possible issue. When I configured the static IP addresses on all servers and static DNS servers, I never put its own IP address as the DNS server. I always put the central location's DNS servers at the remote sites to avoid the island effect in AD. Should I add a third static DNS with it's own IP address? We have a hub and spoke topology with 9 locations. I have read that the DNS should always point to another server than itself, or is that only for the primary DNS server IP address?
December 30th, 2010 12:29pm

If you configured the central as the primary IP for the DNS client, you can use its own IP for the secondary. If the client DNS settings for the DNS server are other DNS servers on the network and they are not reachable due to a network problem, that only affects the name resolution for the DNS server itself, not for the queries that are being received from clients. In other words, the client dns settings are for the local system. The DNS Server service does not use the dns client settings when answering queries. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 30th, 2010 7:42pm

I read some where that for the DNS to work properly that it had to be setup as one of the DNS servers in the TCP/IP configuration. In the past I have setup TCP/IP on servers with out its own address as the DNS server. I have always used other servers as the DNS. I understand that the clients will not use DNS servers in the TCP/IP configuration. I was thinking that the configuration may have effected how the DNS server was operating to clients.
January 11th, 2011 11:30pm

The issue has come back. The website that stops working is craigslit.org. From one of the client's computers I could not ping craigslist.org. NSLOOPUP couldn't return an address for craigslist.org. After entering dnscmd /Config /LameDelegationTtl 0 from the comand line it still wouldn't work until I stopped the DNS service then started it back up. After entering dnscmd /Config /LameDelegationTtl 0, does the DNS service need to be restarted for it to work? I would assume that it would. I will keep you posted if the issue comes back. It may take another month.
January 14th, 2011 11:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics