Page Life Expectancy Alert with value 0, after Updated SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 MP (6.4.0.0)

After updating to the new SQL management pack in my lab I start to see Critical alerts for some of my SQL instances, but not all. When looking at the Alert Context the Value is 0. If I open SQL Management Studio and connect to the Instance and run a query to get the Page Life Expectancy, I get a high value like 494012, the query I use is:

SELECT [object_name],
[counter_name],
[cntr_value]
FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters
WHERE [object_name] LIKE '%Manager%'
AND [counter_name] = 'Page life expectancy'

Could this be an error in this Management Pack, perhaps I should disable this monitor? I also get the same for the monitor Buffer Cache Hit Ratio, also with a Value of 0 in Alert Context.

September 12th, 2013 9:12am

Get the same here on some but not all SQL instances. Not sure why as yet!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2013 11:33am

This monitor rely on Windows performance counter Buffer Manager:Page life expectancy

Can you open perfmon and check counters value? 

September 19th, 2013 3:52pm

Hi Aleksandr,

That is what I do with the SQL query above.

Using perfom gives the exact same result. When doing this on one of my servers I see the value is constantly increasing with 1 for each second, currently displaying a value of 335261.

I think this has to do with improper permissions. I have assigned a dedicated domain user with sysadmin on SQL servers to all the SQL runas profiles. This I did before importing the new SQL Management Pack, and everything was fine. However, after installing this new Management Pack I started to see these alerts, and that the Alert Context had a value of 0. I also noticed that my Default Action account needed access to the SQL database. I did not verify it when I looked at it but I believe that the Default Action account did not have any rights to the instances where the alerts came from. So, perhaps some of the probing is not properly configured to use the right RunAs accounts.

Anyways, I will look in to this a bit further when I have some more time... Posting back the results when I have.

September 19th, 2013 7:43pm

Hi Aleksandr,

Using perfom gives the exact same result. When doing this on one of my servers I see the value is constantly increasing with 1 for each second, currently displaying a value of 335261.

I think this has to do with improper permissions. I have assigned a dedicated domain user with sysadmin on SQL servers to all the SQL runas profiles. This I did before importing the new SQL Management Pack, and everything was fine. However, after installing this new Management Pack I started to see these alerts, and that the Alert Context had a value of 0. I also noticed that my Default Action account needed access to the SQL database. I did not verify it when I looked at it but I believe that the Default Action account did not have any rights to the instances where the alerts came from. So, perhaps some of the probing is not properly configured to use the right RunAs accounts.

Anyways, I will look in to this a bit further when I have some more time... Posting back the results when I have.

September 20th, 2013 2:41am

Hi Aleksandr,

Hi Aleksandr,

Any update on this Reider, Im having exactly the same issues.

Cheers

Zak

September 24th, 2013 5:35am

I had the same issue.  My problem was that the performance counters were not installed correctly.  There was a message in the application (I think) event log telling me which counters were missing.  I had to use the unlodctr/lodctr commands to reload them and then restart SQL.  After that, I started seeing valid values SCOM.
September 25th, 2013 7:32am

Hi Reidar, have a look if the account that you are using in the profile 'SQL Server Monitoring Account' has the ability to read from performance counters. Those workflows are using System.Performance.DataProvider DataSource.

cheers,

Marco

• Edited by MarcoDias 13 hours 52 minutes ago
March 13th, 2014 2:14pm

Hi Reidar, have a look if the account that you are using in the profile 'SQL Server Monitoring Account' has the ability to read from performance counters. Those workflows are using System.Performance.DataProvider DataSource.

cheers,

Marco

• Edited by MarcoDias Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:43 PM
March 13th, 2014 9:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics