Package will no longer upload after reinstalling Visual Studio 2013: Says Runtime Component Missing, WallSHost.exe

Gosh, when Azure works it's awesome. When it's broken, I'm not sure where to turn... I hope somebody here can help!

I'm getting this cryptic error message after deploying from Visual Studio. The same happens if I upload manually:

7:57:48 PM - The file provided is not a valid service package. Detailed error code: nnn.FrontendAndService Invalid application runtime - a runtime component is missing:/base/x64/WaIISHost.exe.

Here's the "complete" log:

7:54:38 PM - Preparing deployment for NNN - 9/5/2015 7:53:02 PM with Subscription ID 'NNN' using Service Management URL 'https://management.core.windows.net/'...
7:54:39 PM - Connecting...
7:54:39 PM - Verifying storage account 'nnn'...
7:54:39 PM - Uploading Package...
7:57:16 PM - Creating...
7:57:48 PM - The file provided is not a valid service package. Detailed error code: nnn.FrontendAndService Invalid application runtime - a runtime component is missing:/base/x64/WaIISHost.exe.

A little help, please? This is a dealbreaker. I don't know how in the world to fix this, and the code seems perfectly fine!

September 5th, 2015 8:02pm

Hi,

The error is most probably due to issues with the SDK, What version of Azure SDK are you using?
 Can you Uninstall all versions of SDK and Re-Install the SDK you want to use and check if it Resolves the issue.
 Try creating a new package file using CSPack ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg432988.aspx )

you can also refer to the below stackOverFlow threads which discusses similar Error message.
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29979596/why-cant-azure-find-iisconfigurator-exe-in-my-cspkg
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29434587/azure-publishinga-runtime-component-is-missing-base-x64-iisconfigurator-exe

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 9:25am

Nithin,

Thanks. I've tried reinstalling all SDKs. I've also followed all the StackOverflow articles to no avail.

Azure SDK 2.7, although now it seems I can only get 2.7.1? Would that make a difference?

I'll check out CSPack, and I'll try uninstalling EVERYTHING that says Azure, and then reinstall. For now, just for a sanity check, I'm creating a virtual machine with nothing but VS2013 and Azure SDK.

If none of this works, can I reach out to you with additional detail, and maybe you can help?

Thanks!

September 6th, 2015 10:00am

Hi,

Hope the issue gets resolved. Feel free to post the results and we will definitely look into it.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

September 6th, 2015 11:53am

Nithin,

Even after totally reinstalling on my main machine, I'm getting the same error:

7:47:27 PM - The file provided is not a valid service package. Detailed error code: (my product).FrontendAndService Invalid application runtime - a runtime component is missing:/base/x64/WaIISHost.exe.

Any ideas? Is there anything I can send that will help diagnose, please?

THANK YOU!

Best,

-Auri

September 6th, 2015 7:51pm

Update: Even on a brand new VM set up only for this project, I get the same error:

8:34:47 PM - The file provided is not a valid service package. Detailed error code: (name).FrontendAndService Invalid application runtime - a runtime component is missing:/base/x64/WaIISHost.exe.

How do I debug this? The StackOverflow article said you were only able to reproduce this once, and it was an SDK issue. Is it 2.7.1? I recall this all worked fine with 2.7.0. That version is no longer available for download though, it seems.

Thanks for your assistance - I can't be stuck in the mud with this, but I have no idea where to turn now.

September 6th, 2015 11:38pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are still facing this issue,
 Since you said it worked with earlier version SDK, use the Below link to download Azure SDK 2.7.0
 http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/downloads/archive-net-downloads/

Regarding the Package not uploading with the latest version, I am not sure what exactly might be causing this error, I would suggest, If Possible contact Azure Support with a Support Ticket and have them take a closer look at your project files and logs.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

September 7th, 2015 8:40am

Thanks, Nithin. I'll try 2.7.0.

Question: We have three accounts, but none of them show our Enterprise Agreement with the Support option. I've logged into all three, and I know we're paying for it, but it's driving me nuts I can't see it. Otherwise I would have done so already :)

Thanks and Best,

-Auri

September 7th, 2015 9:14am

Nithin,

All of the SDK downloads there force a download of 2.7.1, not 2.7.0. :(

Was 2.7.0 simply removed and no longer available?

Thanks and Best,

-Auri

September 7th, 2015 9:19am

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response, I wasn't able to find any other direct download link for the previous SDK.
 At this point I think you may have to contact support, Since you are unable to raise a support ticket, I would suggest you create a free billing ticket and have the billing team sort out the issue with the EA support option and then redirected to a Azure Technical Support professional.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

September 10th, 2015 1:14pm

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response, I wasn't able to find any other direct download link for the previous SDK.
 At this point I think you may have to contact support, Since you are unable to raise a support ticket, I would suggest you create a free billing ticket and have the billing team sort out the issue with the EA support option and then redirected to a Azure Technical Support professional.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

September 10th, 2015 5:12pm

Hi,

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

Hi,

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

I just gave up on it and switched to a Web App. Please pass along to the dev team the following suggestion:

* Please improve the logging verbosity to help troubleshoot Cloud Service deployments. It's wrong to just say there's an invalid runtime without explaining what you're expecting vs. what you received. It's also wrong to say the runtime is MISSING when it's not.

September 12th, 2015 6:42am

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback, Apologize for not providing a resolution for the issue.
 I would also request you to post your feedback at the below link so that it can be noted by our product group and necessary actions taken.
 http://feedback.azure.com/forums/169386-cloud-services-web-and-worker-role

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

September 12th, 2015 7:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics