PXE boot into terminal server farm

Hello,

Our company has many terminal servers in a connection broker. We have multiple old computers + a bunch of thin clients that today PXE boots into a cut down version of Ubuntu from where the users RDP into our terminal servers with 2008R2 and some 2012.

We have had many issues with linux images to PXE into. Some clients get no sound at times, freerdp disconnects ramomly and other issues. We have tried many different Linux images and all has it's issues.

So my question is, does Microsoft offer it's customers any better way to PXE thin clients and RDP into Terminal servers?

Thinking since Microsoft offers terminal server, they should also have some way to RDP into them without the need of installing anything on the clients?

February 16th, 2015 5:05pm

Hi Sir,

Sorry for the delay .

"The new Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 includes support for a new feature called differencing virtual hard disks (VHDs). This feature helps deploy diskless boot for servers running Windows, especially in a Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 compute cluster environment. "

For details please refer to the article below regarding "Diskless servers can boot and run from the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target using a regular network card!":

http://blogs.technet.com/b/storageserver/archive/2011/05/04/diskless-servers-can-boot-and-run-from-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-using-a-regular-network-card.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2015 6:21am

I have read this quite fast, but can you please explain what is needed if I go with the example to use existing DHCP + TFTP-server? What is needed on the server side? I already have a working terminal server environment with 12 virtual terminal servers that I would like to use. I'd rather not replace the terminal servers with something else if avoidable.
February 24th, 2015 1:51pm

Hi Sir,

I'm not  an expert of PXE boot , I also searched this series blog for diskless deployment :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2011/05/03/diskless-server-boot-using-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-and-a-regular-network-card.aspx

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

El

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2015 10:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics