PTR Record disappearing from AD Integrated zone
Hi all, We are having Windows 2008 AD.Every few days, we will have a record from DNS reverse zone (which is AD Integrated) disappear.The record that disappears is a Domain Controller. The forward record stays. Only the Reverse will disappear.This happens randomly but every few days apart. Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
May 7th, 2010 9:24am

Hello, The issue can be caused by that the DC registered the PTR record with an incorrect value. Did you foudn anything in DNS event logs? Was the DC rebooted recently, when the record dissapeared? I hope DC has static IP (so there is no DHCP, which needs to be configured)(Please check if DHCP client service is stopped). Following steps can be helpfull in order to resolve your issue; Step 1: ======== 1. Open DNS management. 2. Right click the reverse lookup zone and click Properties. 3. Click Aging button. 4. Set both options to 7 days and uncheck the box of Scavenge stale resource records and click OK. 5. Restart the DNS service and manually create the PTR record. Step 2: ======== Add following registry key to the server's registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Disabl eReverseAddressRegistrations Data type: REG_DWORD Value: 1 Regards, Peter Rajcinov
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 7th, 2010 9:34am

Hi Peter, We are unble to findout the below mentioned Registry entry in my Windows 2008 AD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Disabl eReverseAddressRegistrations. Please Let me know the exact reason ,why it is happening Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
May 7th, 2010 10:02am

Hi, I as wrote you need to "Add" that registry, so the registry is not in there at the moment. :) Regards, Peter Rajcinov
May 7th, 2010 10:07am

Hi, Let me check and i will update you Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
May 7th, 2010 10:10am

Hi Deva, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks
May 14th, 2010 6:16am

Hi All, The key DisableReverseAddressRegistrations will disable dns update registration for ptr . Have a look at below link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246804
May 14th, 2010 6:42am

Hi all, We checked and found that same IP is configured with one of my Virtual Network card, after that we disabled that Virtual LAN card and run the below mentioned commands in our server. ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns Now we are successfully get the NSLookup resolution.Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
May 25th, 2010 9:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics