PS script & scheduled task to move files

Hi All,

I need a little assistance with a powershell script that I want to run as a scheduled task. I need it to automatically move files of a certain age and need it to run everyday. This is the script that I have below:

I need to pass credentials to it because its copying over a network to a different location.  How can I add credentials in this script so that it executes?

get-childitem -Path "D:\Backup" |
    where-object {$_.LastWriteTime -lt (get-date).AddDays(-24)} | 
    move-item -Destination "y:\BAK" -Force 

Thank You,

September 8th, 2015 8:02pm

Before providing the solution, I need to make it clear that it is extremely bad practice to embed credentials in scripts and I would strongly recommend you find a solution where the security principal that the script runs under has access to both systems.

That being said: you need to create a credential and pass the credential to Move-Item

$Credential = new-object system.management.automation.pscredential("DOMAIN\USER"),"PASSWORD")

move-item -Credential $Credential -Destination "y:\BAK" -Force
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 8:20pm

Thanks but its saying that expressions are only allowed as the first element and also says this when I execute it.
September 8th, 2015 8:36pm

I did add my credentials and password just not in the screenshot for obvious reasons. 
September 8th, 2015 8:36pm

you don't pipe the credential, the object is created on a separate line:

Your code should look like this:

$Credential = new-object system.management.automation.pscredential("DOMAIN\USER"),"PASSWORD")

get-childitem -Path "D:\Backup" | ?{$_.LastWriteTime -lt (get-date).AddDays(-24)} | move-item -Credential $Credential -Destination "y:\BAK" -Force

September 8th, 2015 8:51pm

Do not add credentials to a script that is to run as a task.  It is not safe, portable or necessary. Just run the task under the target credentials when you create the task.
September 9th, 2015 1:54am

Do not add credentials to a script that is to run as a task.  It is not safe, portable or necessary. Just run the task under the target credentials when you create
September 9th, 2015 2:01am

Do not add credentials to a script that is to run as a task.  It is not safe, portable or necessary. Just run the task under the target credentials when you create the t

September 9th, 2015 2:18am

Kriss is the script supposed to prompt me for credentials?  If so I wouldn't be able to schedule the task this way without a user being logged on. 

Thanks

September 9th, 2015 7:44am

Kriss is the script supposed to prompt me for credentials?  If so I wouldn't be able to schedule the task this way without a user being logged on. 

Thanks

Use jrv's suggestion. No need for credentials if you schedule this properly.

September 9th, 2015 7:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics