PING using FQDN
Hi;I'm having an issue with a Windows Vista (Ultimate) system that is having problems pinging other systems on the LAN using fqdn.My configuration is as follows- 5 systems running- 1 is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and is configured as a DNS and has AD setup- 2 other systems are also running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (no roles are set)- 1 system isrunning Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and is configured as a Web Server- 1 system is running Windows Vista Ultimate-all systems are registered in AD and the DNS has both forward and reverse lookup for all- all systems are registered with / joined with the local domain- the WS 2008 and Vista systems have ipv6 deactivated- all systems TCP/IP have been configured to use the LAN DNS as first DN lookup- the Vista system has McAfee installed (but with all McAfee services turned off - issue still occurs)I've been testing the ability for the systems to contact each other -- and running ping tests using fqdn. All systems are able to ping the others except for the Vista system. The Vista system acts sporadic with respect to the pinging operations. I can ping from the Vista system to the others using NetBios and IP values; but when I use a fqdn the ping may not work. I.E. -- sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. I have found that if I restart the DNS Client service; the Vista system can ping the other system's for a period of time; then stops. The error I get when the Vista system cannot ping is Ping request could not find "system FQDN" host. Please check the name and try again.What is strange is that the ping works sometimes and does not work at other times. Completely random (in how it works) -- sometimes it can ping 2 or 3 -- sometimes none --- and it is not the same system being pinged that fails -- completely random.The only thing I could find was an article written b MS that seems like it may be relatedhttp://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-ping-request-could-not-find-host-fqdn-of-server-error/but did not work for me.So can anyone point out why Vista would be so particular in how it is operating with respect to contacting other systems using a fqdn? I have to apologize; I'm not an expert with netowrk configurations and I'm probably missing something simple; just can't figure out what.Peter
March 4th, 2009 11:22pm

+ hmm........interesting. Let me first confirm that Basic Ping functionality is not changed in vista,+ I hope your domain name doesn't end with numeric value, if it does, please check below article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9457641. Use nslookup tool on vista machine and check if you were able to resolve names all the time. i believe it should work as dns server is working fine. If that works, it's an issue with DNS client service, as it will cache names resolved and next time when we try to resolve same name, we will not contact DNS server, and in our case it seems cache is corrupted and reason PING unable to get correct IP to contact.We can update DNSapi.dll file to latest version or installed SP1 for vista to check how it works.2. If name are resolved to correct IP, it might possible that some one is blocking packets on machine and no ICMP packets are leaving machine. Try to boot machine in safe mode with networking and check how it works.+ Even though you have disabled AV service, filter drivers for AV will be loaded in normal mode. Which can cause different issues. It will be good to reboot machine in safe mode with networking and test rather than disabling services.Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2009 2:04am

- No; domain name does not end with a numeric value...- name resolution works fine (checking with nslookup) on the fqdns that are failing with a ping....- again pinging with netbios, and IP values works fine -- only when using fqdn does pinging fail (sporadically)....- i have SP1 installed- have booted in safe mode -- problem still occurs- uninstalled AV -- problem still occursI do a flushdns operation which should require a reget ; but that does not work. I also set the TTL for the A records for the particular systems defined on the dns to 1 second -- and still get the same problem occuring.The only way I can get the pinging to work is to reset dnscache service. One note: even after a reboot the fqnds that were failing on a ping before the reboot are failing after a reboot; and I have to reset the dnscache service. Second note: at some point the fqdns that are failing on a ping will start working again; I do not know why. But at some point pinging using fqdn does fial (and may not be the same fqdn that were failing before).Peter
March 5th, 2009 9:04am

+ DNScache service is used for name registration and maintaining local cache.+ If work-around is to reset service, it should work with reboot as well........but that's not the case.+ this issue require deep troubleshooting......if you can capture network traces from Vista box while failing as well as while successful, we can compare to check if packets (DNS and ICMP) leaving box and if response came back.If you are not sure how to read network captures, share with me and i will help you out.+ If we do see some wierd behavior, it might be issue with TCPIP stack itself.Hope this helps
March 6th, 2009 1:16am

this behavior is the possibility of dns cache corruption which might be because of several reasons.can you please chekc if the issue is occuring in safe mode with networking ?and also since when r u experiencing the issue , is that after any upgrade ?also please upgrade your vista client to the latest binaries sainath Windows Driver Development
March 6th, 2009 3:51am

Hello, i have same problems with windows xp and windows 7. ping fqdn not working, nslookup ok. Do you have found a solution without reinstalling os? Regards
February 17th, 2011 3:51pm

Having the same exact issue... Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)... fully updated and patched. ping via ip works, nslookup works by ip and fqdn, but ping fqdn does not work. Our DNS resources are BIND based (Linux), only some of our Windows desktops have this issue, our Linux desktops and servers don't have any issues. The problem did not happen initially, but just appeared recently, and nothing we have tried has worked. This feels like a bug.
January 5th, 2012 9:01pm

I'm experiencing the same thing on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. I thought it was IPv6 messing up with my LAN but after disabling everything I still have the problem. If I ping to my DNS host no problem, if I ping to the FQDN of the DNS host it doesn't work. Anyone found a solution??
May 24th, 2012 3:01pm

Hello, do you have 2 dns server? Both configured on the client? DNS client running? My problem was the secondary dns server. There was a wrong entry. You can use a network sniffer, ms network monitor, to analyze the traffic from the client. Maybe you can find there something whch will help. In my environment i have seen queries to a dns server which does not exist any more Hope it helps Regards
May 24th, 2012 3:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics