P2V Windows 7

New to SCVMM.  I just got it install earlier this week and I have been working thought the various parts to make sure things are working as expected.  One thing we will want to use is the P2V stuff.  I have been trying for the past few days to use P2V to create a VM of my Windows 7 box without any success.  We are running SCVMM R2 Version 2.0.4273.0

I run the Convert physical server wizard and get to the System Information page and click the Scan System.  It runs for a few moments then returns with Error ID 2910 and complains that I do

After this initial run when I click on the Scan System button it says:

<ComputerName> has an unsupported version of the Virtual Machine Manager agent installed.
Uninstall the Virtual Machine Manager agent using Add or Remove Programs on <ComputerName>, and then try operation again.
ID: 408

When I do try to uninstall that agent it gives the following error:

Failed to fully clean up the system.  Ensure that the correct boot loader is installed and remove all files named "$scvmm*.*" from the root directory of the boot volume. and then try the operation again.

I have tried giving the VMM server account admin rights on the workstation.  I have tried disabling McAfee and the Firewall.  I have tried making exceptions in the firewall.  I am not sure what I need to do to get this to work.  The documentation seems to suggest that it should just work for me.

September 10th, 2010 1:20pm

Do you have IIS running on the source machine? Or any application that registered a certificate?

Also... which agent are you using? Where did you get the MSI package?

Please make sure you using the one located here - C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\agents\p2v\i386\vmmP2VSource.msi

Also check

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/virtualmachinemanager/thread/fb871f15-26f1-4259-94b1-9833c082f9fd

Also you can try Disk2VHD for your P2V

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2010 3:23pm

IIS is definatly not running.  I am not sure if there are any applications that registered a certificate, none that I know of.  I do know that a certificate is put in place by a group policy.

As for the MSI, it is what ever VMM uses.  Am I suppose to be installing that before hand myself?  I thought that the P2V Wizard was supposed to install the correct one. 

What are the basic steps that you take for P2V?

Thanks,

Matt

September 10th, 2010 3:27pm

Online conversion does not require a restart of the source computer. VMM uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to create an image of the source machine that is consistent on the application level and then creates an analogous virtual machine. The online conversion process consists of five steps:

1. Installing the agent on the source computer
  2. Retrieving hardware configuration
  3. Imaging
  4. Fixing up
  5. Creating the virtual machine

You can try to uninstall the VMM agent like uninstalling in Server Core

0) make sure you're logged in as administrator on the host
1) run regedit.exe
2) navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3) expand the folder
4) click on each folder with a GUID name (example: {328F5366-40F7-4C67-9A63-6DC95F211642}) until you locate the one where DisplayName is "Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Agent (x64)"
5) double-click the UninstallString value, a window will pop-up
6) copy the entire content (press ctrl-c)
7) click cancel and close the registry editor
8) on the command window, paste the copied command (it will be something like MsiExec.exe /X{328F5366-40F7-4C67-9A63-6DC95F211642})
9) press enter, that will uninstall the old VMM agent

Source http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrsetup/thread/7ad5e976-3832-4315-8d90-5691360e193b

September 10th, 2010 9:01pm

Yeah, I have tried uninstalling the client with that method, and I get the same error complaining about the boot loader.

When you say installing the agent on the source computer, is that the wizard, or an administrator?  If I were to try to install the agent myself, would it work?  Do I just get it from the VMM Program files directory?

I believe Windows 7 is a supported OS to Pv2, but could this be causing the issue?

Matt

September 13th, 2010 12:24pm

Hi Matt,

Windows 7 is supported OS for online P2V using VMM.. just double check.. did you apply Windows 7 Sp1 beta to this machine ?

View the VMM*.log on the source computer to gather additional information. the log files are stored in C:\Users\All Users\VMMLogs.

1. Ensure that all of the latest VMM updates are installed.
  2. Find the source of the error by opening the Jobs view, selecting a job, and then clicking the Change Tracking tab in the details pane. Find the job where the Status property changed. After you find this job, click the Summary tab of the details pane to investigate the issue.
Recommended hotfixes for System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2397711
September 13th, 2010 1:55pm

Does the source machine have App-V installed. The sequence of steps is identical to an issue a blogged about recently. Check out this blog entry: http://blogs.technet.com/b/hectorl/archive/2010/06/25/p2v-fails-if-app-v-is-installed-on-source-machine.aspx

• Proposed as answer by hector.linares Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Marked as answer by mclanem Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:28 PM
September 16th, 2010 8:16am

Hector,

You are absolutly correct.  I have been banging my head on this for two weeks and I would have never thought of App-V. 

Thanks,

Matt

September 16th, 2010 12:29pm

Use this video to fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reb4eMcpl20
May 13th, 2015 9:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics