Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
My Hyper-V server has stopped DFS replication.The error I get is DFSR event 4004: The DFS Replication service stopped replication on the replicated folder at local path C:\Test.Additional Information:Error: 997 (Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.)...The only hints I get searching Technetsuggest thatprograms such as backup or anti-virus could hold handles on files within the folders that prevent them from being copied. I disabled them but it didn't help. C:\Test, in the example above is an empty folder that was newly created in DFS manager. The error appeared immediately in the DFSR log.I get this for each replicated folder. This server is Windows 2008 Server Enterprise x64. The server I am trying to replicate with is alsoWindows 2008 Server Enterprise x64, but is running on a virtual machine within the previous server. The virtual server has Service Pack 2 applied. The parent server also had SP2 applied, but thenSP2 was uninstalled, due to a network problem. See:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/23b8b47c-2ed7-4c4d-9d3b-b209814cc7e9.Does anyone know what this error really means?Note, I posted the question here in General since it touches on Hyper-V, File Services, and Service Pack 2.
January 18th, 2009 4:24am

Hi,This issue may be caused by conflicts of software. I suggest testing in Clean Boot to narrow down the cause of this issue. Click Start, type "msconfig", press Enter. Disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup items. Restart and test. Is there any progress? If not, please check if you have LiveVault Backup Service installed. If it was installed, disabling is not enough, please try to uninstall it and test.If this issue continues without LiveVault Backup Service, I suggest you remove SP2 to eliminate the possibility of causing by SP2.If the issue occurs before SP2 and persists after removing SP2, please help to collect the following log for research.The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist you with fault isolation.A . Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link: (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en)Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location.B . Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.C . Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?D . When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. After collecting, please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2009 2:23pm

Thank you for responding.I have uploaded the MPSReports.cab tohttp://cid-08ec6ef1e1795d54.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Phenom-Hyper-V%7C_MPSReports%7C_0901190750PM.CAB.The problem started after removing SP2.After setting cleanboot with msconfig and rebooting, the problem has changed. It went from DFSR event 4004,Error: 997 (Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.), to DFSR event 5002,Error: 1753 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.).At least this is something I can try to diagnose.It seems that the Quick HealTotal Securitywas still causing the Overlapped I/O problem.If you have any quick fixes to try for RPC endpoint problems on Server 2008, please let me know.
January 20th, 2009 5:36am

Hi,Its strange that I cannot download your uploaded file on skydrive. The new error may be caused by network problem. Please check the connection to make sure Network is working.If your environment requires Firewall or Proxy, please enable them in Startup group. If the issue continues, lets try to change system settings. Navigate to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ParametersChange the value of EnableRSS, EnableTCPA and EnableTCPChimney to 0. If they dont exist, please create(they are REG_DWORD type) and change the value to 0. Restart and test. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 20th, 2009 12:44pm

I am sure it is my unfamiliarity with skydrive. I couldn't download it either.I played with my skydrive pages and found that when I right clicked the file icon inhttp://cid-08ec6ef1e1795d54.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Phenom-Hyper-V%7C_MPSReports%7C_0901190750PM.CAB, I could download it.I don't know what changed, if anything. I couldn't download it just a few minutes earlier.I tried the "Download" link and just clicking the icon and they worked also. Go figure.I added registry settings you suggested. I'll see what it after a reboot.
January 21st, 2009 3:50am

Hi,The downloading problem may be caused by temporary Skydrive server issue, let's ignore it. I downloaded the file and find C:\Diag is not listed in Netshare.txt file.Is C:\Diag a shared folder? If not, please share it. Or delete the original DFS Namespace and create a new Namespace to test. DFS Replication uses a staging folder to stage a file before sending or receiving it. I suggest checking the DFSR staging settings to make sure its not caused by large file. To do so:Edit the Quota Size of the Staging Folder and Conflict and Deleted Folderhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754229.aspxIf the issue persists, please check the size of the DFSR folder. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 21st, 2009 2:29pm

I think thatMPSRPT isn't working correctly on Server 2008. There were error messages about dll incompatibilities. C:\Diag is shared as Diag, and is available under DFSRoot\Diag. C:\>netshare SharenameResourceRemark ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ADMIN$C:\WindowsRemoteAdmin C$C:\Defaultshare V$V:\Defaultshare print$C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers PrinterDrivers IPC$RemoteIPC D$D:\Defaultshare CertSRVc:\CertSRV ClientAppsC:\ClientApps ClientsC:\Clients DFSrootC:\DFSRoots\DFSroot DiagC:\Diag DownloadD:\Download NETLOGONC:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\Borg.local\SCRIPTS Logonservershare ProfileRootC:\DFSRoots\ProfileRootCachingdisabled ProfilesC:\ProfilesCachingdisabled SYSVOLC:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvolLogonservershare TestC:\Test UserDataC:\UserData VideosD:\Videos HPPSC950DOT4_001SpooledHPPSC950 Thecommandcompletedsuccessfully.I'll try a new namespace instead of just a new DFS folder. I also have a new Server 2008 R2 virtual machine to try it with. I'll also look at quota sizes.
January 21st, 2009 8:54pm

It seems that replication is now working. A few minutes after the RPC endpoint errors, I get DFSR5004 events (Information) saying that inbound connections have been established. I copied files to my empty Test folder on two different servers.Each file was replicated to the other server. I also installed DFS on a newWindows 2008 R2 server and created a couple of folder targets on this server. The targets replicated. I didn't try a new namespace yet, since replication is now working.
January 25th, 2009 4:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics