Organizing Dimension Fields in a Tabular Data Model
Is it possible to organize dimension fields from different tables under one "folder" or "table" when viewing the pivot table in Excel?  For example, I have a profit center dimension and a product dimension.  When I view data in Excel, the Pivot Table fields are displayed in Profit Center and Product.  I would really like to create a structure that includes Profit Center and Product dimension fields organized together in the Pivot Table fields (even though they are sourced from different tables).
August 19th, 2015 3:14pm

Hi 

It is not really possible by using a setting the folder. However what you could do is create a Junk dimension, which is the cross product of your 'Profit center' and 'Product' dimensions, this would give you the single folder view that you seek but may not be efficient if those two dimensions grow large.

Another approach would be to De-normalize you fact table so that all the attributes you require from 'Profit center' and product were in your fact table, you would then be able to create a degenerate dimension containing these fields, the problem with this approach is that it could 1) be quite large 2) could not have a relationship to more than a single fact.

you can read this blog for some more info between these two choices. 

If you decide that you did want to go with this approach then i would recommend the junk dimension over the degenerate dimension. 

All this may not be worth the small gain of having everything appear in the same folder.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 3:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics