OpsMgr account permissions with SQL 2012 alwayson

Hello opsmgr gurus,

I'm installing opsmgr in a lab using a single server deployment and 2 SQL servers with an alwayson availability group configured. From what i understand, the OpsMgr accounts are given certain permissions in SQL only on the first node after the OpsMgr installation and they are not replicated to the replica servers so you would have to manually add those permissions.

Following this technet article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj899851.aspx, I attempted to do just that, only to get the following error in SQL:

Failed to update database "OperationsManager" because the database is read-only. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3906)

My SQL availability group has an option for a readable secondary and it is set to yes. I don't see anything else that removes the read-only setting. Has anyone encountered this? any ideas?

Thanks,

September 13th, 2015 6:20pm

chriz

You alreasy create similar post in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/37f957d7-afd0-414a-8c61-d9750d0ff334/opsmgr-account-permissions-with-sql-2012-alwayson?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

You may refer to my reply in this post

Roger

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 11:44pm

Sadly that link doesn't help when you are in the position that Chriz is in.

First up, I'd try and get a local DBA involved as they will be able to assist. You are in a catch 22 where by you cant' create the logins because the database is in single user mode and you can't successfully fail over to it because the logins aren't created.

You have a number of options and a DBA working with you is the best approach. In general, I'd raise a change to say monitoring is going to be down for a couple of hours (it shouldn't actually take more than 15 minutes), stop all MS and then fail the database over to the secondary node, recreate the logins on this node and then fail back again and do some testing.

Note, you may also need to run the following on the secondary node:

sp_configure show advanced options,1

reconfigure

sp_configure clr enabled,1

reconfigure

But from memory, this needs to be done before the availability group is created (double check with your DBA).

Cheers

Graham

September 14th, 2015 10:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics