OpsMgr 2012 SP1: Operational Data Reporting Failed - Unable to determine if watson (DW20.exe) is installed

Hello,

I am receiving the following alert on a new OpsMgr 2012 SP1 installation. Anyone have any idea how to solve the problem?:

Operational Data Reporting Failed
The alert description states: Unable to determine if watson (DW20.exe) is installed

This alert is sourced from the following event log entry on the Management Server:

Log Name: Operations Manager
Source: Operational Data Reporting
Event Number: 101
Description: Unable to determine if watson (DW20.exe) is installed

Server information:

OpsMgr 2012 SP1 installed on Windows Server 2012, fully-patched

Operations Database is on a separate database server running SQL Server 2012 SP1 x64 on Windows Server 2012. OS is fully-patched

Data Warehouse, OpsMgr Reporting, and Web Console are on a third server running SQL Server 2012 SP1 x64 on Windows Server 2012. OS is fully-patched.

Additional details:

I have Operational Data Reporting enabled and wish to leave it that way.

I installed .NET 3.5 on the Management Server to try and fix this issue. I now see dw20.exe present in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727. I do not see it in any of the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folders.

Thanks in advance!
Frank

March 4th, 2013 6:29am

Hi,

Regarding the alert, please check it referring to the following article:

Operational Data Reporting submission failed Rule

http://mpwiki.viacode.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=99847

Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2013 9:08am

Nicholas,

Thanks for the response. I've seen that page and it's what pointed me to the fact that dw20.exe is not present in the C:\Program Files folders. It seems that on Windows Server 2012, dw20.exe is no longer placed within the "%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW" folder, as per the page that you linked. As I said, after installing .NET 3.5 SP1, I only see dw20.exe present in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727.

I'm going to try manually creating the Program Files folder structure and copying dw20.exe over to it. I'll report back with my findings.

EDIT: I've manually copied C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\dw20.exe to C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DW and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\dw20.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DW. But this did not work: on Saturday at 10:00 PM I see the "Operational Data Reporting" event ID 101 in the Operations Manager event log and the alert was regenerated.

-Frank

• Edited by Frank E Lesniak Monday, March 25, 2013 8:19 PM Provided an update on my attempt to resolve issue
March 18th, 2013 4:16pm

I tried building the C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DW & C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\DW folder structures on the Reporting server, but that also did not work.

Next I am going to try and set up a Process Monitor trace on all three servers this Saturday at 10 PM to try and find out why Operations Manager is throwing this error.

In the meantime, please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Surely others must be experiencing this issue...

April 1st, 2013 5:17pm

Frank,   Very curious to see if you have resolved this as I am experiencing the same issue, same behavior.
June 18th, 2013 6:33pm

John,

I have not resolved it yet. Unfortunately I have not been able to catch the Saturday 10 PM ODR process with Process Monitor.

Thanks
Frank

June 18th, 2013 6:35pm

Also seeing this issue, .NET is installed but dw20.exe is only in the .\Windows\Microsoft.NET dir
September 16th, 2013 12:19am

I captured the ODR process this evening. I am still investigating, but here is what I know so far:

• The following command line executes and runs as the Management Server Action Account:
    "D:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\Reporting\OperationalDataReporting.exe" /ReportingServerUrl:http://opsmgrreporting.domain.com:8080/ReportServer /ReportsRootFolder:/ODR
  • Replace D:\ with the drive letter on which OpsMgr is installed
  • Replace http://opsmgrreporting.domain.com:8080/ReportServer with the URL to the OpsMgr Reporting server

Running this command at the command prompt reproduces the error.

September 22nd, 2013 6:19am

any resolution or traction on this? I'm seeing this behavior as well.
February 27th, 2014 12:41am

Bump. SCOM 2012R2 UR4 reproduces the same error.

Brand new install on Windows Server 2012R2; EventID 101 Operational Data Reporting.

I do not have .NET 3.5 installed, and it is not listed as a pre req. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn249696.aspx.

Popped up with the same message on one of my management servers, which has the exact same build as the others.

February 7th, 2015 3:17pm

Bump for me too.  Brand new 2012 R2 servers, same as everybody else.  No resolution, I take it?

ETA: .Net 3.5 is installed.

May 5th, 2015 11:56am

Bump for me too.  Brand new 2012 R2 servers, same as everybody else.  No resolution, I take it?

ETA: .Net 3.5 is installed.

May 5th, 2015 3:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics