Operations Master issue - AD migration from 2003 to 2012
I have been following the instructions on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5K6B7hgRU and to be honest it seems to have been working just perfect up until 18 minutes and 10 seconds in to the video. Here is where the Operations Masters are changed. 

According to the video (and numerous other tutorials that we were looking at) the operations manager is "OldServer.local" and by clicking the Change button, this should then change to what is displayed in the lower field, which should be "NewServer.local". However, what I keep getting is "OldServer.local" in both fields. 

Since the GUI was not showing me an option, I thought that I would try to change the FSMO role via command line for RID first. But as you can see from the images attached, this didn't work either.

I have checked the Operations Masters on the OldServer just to see what is displayed there and it is the exact same. When I do actually click Change on the NewServer I get an error message saying 
The current Domain Controller is the operations master. To transfer the operations master role to another computer, you must first connect to it.

So how do I connect to it? I have turned off the AV on both and rebooted both. But it made no difference.

That was up until I tried to change the FSMO role via command line for RID. Now there is the word ERROR in the first Operations Master field.

Both machines can ping each other now just as they could previously. However when I run "netdom query fsmo" in command prompt, I get the OldServer.local as the result for Schema, Domain Naming & PDC. Then it says "the parameter is incorrect". This same result is on both machines. Previously I used to not get an error at all but the same result for all five requests.

• Edited by Doeydude 7 hours 59 minutes ago
September 8th, 2015 6:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics