Opening ports works on Windows Firewall, but still can't be accessed from outside.
Greetings, I have a VPS running with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard as my OS. A certain application (a game server), requires ports 6900, 6121 and 5121 to be open. I've added a 3 seperate rules which allow each port to be accessed from outside (inbound rule, TCP). However, when I go to a website such as http://canyouseeme.org and I check if ports 6900, 6121 and 5121 are open, they are not. Ports such as 80, 21, .. etc. are open however, and work. When at home, I use the game client to connect to the server (the login part uses port 6900), it fails to connect. I can also access my Apache webhost by visiting the IP address at home, pinging the server IP from home also works fine. Furthermore, the gameserver application indicates that it is listening on ports 6900, 6121, 5121 correctly. So I'm kind of stuck here, seeing as I have tried multiple things (for example, turn off the firewall completely), but to no avail. Hope someone can give me some insight in the situation, maybe it's something small that I overlook but I can't figure it out..
January 14th, 2011 3:20pm

Hi, Are you using the built-in Windows Firewall? If so, you can open the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security console, navigate to Monitoring\Firewall and ensure that the ports are open and the firewall rule is enabled. If the issue persists, you can capture the network traffic by using network monitor utility to analyze the issue. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2011 8:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics