Only icons are visible after logging in to Windows Server 2003
Please help me solve this problem with Windows server 2003. This is the situation I'm facing. The server is up and running but you can only see black screen with only icons are visible when you login. Even if you open on Start Menu or Windows Explorer, you will only see icons with no text. Please help me. I need it badly. For those who want to help, I can you the screenshots so that you will understand it clearly.Thank you very much.Rey
October 7th, 2009 8:37am

Hi, Please take a screen shot, upload it to some place and then paste the link here. By the way, are there any errors in Event Viewer? Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 7th, 2009 10:38am

HiI thing you have recreate the New user profiles for windows server 2003 to resolve this issue. Otherwise please paste your screenshotThanks...Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
October 8th, 2009 12:04am

Hi Network Engr,Please perform vincent's suggestion. Its hard to predict which component is causing the issue, one valid troubleshooting would be to check the behavior in safe mode.sainath !analyze
October 8th, 2009 4:43am

I have run the server in Safe Mode but it has the same problem. Event viewer will not do because if I open Event Viewer, I cant see the text. Deva's suggestion will not do either because I dont want to guess whether I'm on the right window, or if I'm typing the right name of profiles because all I can see are only icons. It's like you are typing in the dark since you are typing the text in the blank screen and you cant see the words or the characters you are typing. Please see the screenshots in the link I provided below:I posted the screenshots here: http://nante9.blogspot.comThank you in advance for the help!Network Engr
October 10th, 2009 3:34pm

Hi Network Engr, Thanks for the information and after looking at the windows i can sense the following a) display driver corruption b) shell32 and GDI32.dll corruption this might happen due to 3rd party application installation which is tough to predict without data.c) OS installation problem, if possible please try to repair the OS and check if you still run into the problems.questionwhat happens when you press windows key from the keyboard does it open start ?sainath !analyze
October 12th, 2009 6:37am

Thanks for the suggestions to all of you guys. I will try to do what Sainath suggested. The problem is I cannot see the text.It's all black so how can I read. @Sainath- When I press windows key from the keyboard, Start Menu will open. Question1: Is there any way I can import/export the error logs from this server to the good working server? Question2: How can I repair the OS? Any steps? Thanks..
October 12th, 2009 8:47am

Hi, Question1: Is there any way I can import/export the error logs from this server to the good working server? >> You can view the Event log from anther computer. Work with Event Logs on a Remote Computer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766438.aspx Question2: How can I repair the OS? Any steps? >> Perform a Repair Installation http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx Best Regards, Vincent Hu
October 12th, 2009 10:56am

Hi thanks vincent, seems to be a corruptionI was thinking about the probelm and this striked me try using RDP from remote machine and check the behavior whcih will give us more info regarding the issue.sainath !analyze
October 12th, 2009 12:54pm

Thanks Vincent and Sainath.@ Vincent - I will try tomorrow the suggestions you have posted. Another question for your answer in my question #2. I read that article and it is for WInXP. Is it also applicable for Windows Server 2003?@Sainath-- I tried using RDP the first time I say this problem because I thought the problem is the video adapter but using RDP has the same problem--blackscreen with only icons in it.I'm thinking about this is a problem with the "colors" in the registry but my problem is how can I view the registry using regedit if I cannot read the text and can only see icons.Thanks for the patience in helping me guys. I tried it so hard and even thinking this problem when going to sleep. I need it so badly.Thanks....
October 12th, 2009 4:10pm

The repair installation method for Windows XP is also applicable for Windows Server 2003.
October 12th, 2009 4:17pm

Thanks Pravin. I'll try that on the weekend when no one is using the server so that I can restart the machine.
October 13th, 2009 8:22am

Hey guys, thanks for all your support and assistance.At last, My problem was already resolved. The system is back to normal. The cause of the problem is that the Windows Standard Color scheme and some of the schemes were deleted. Maybe it was because of the Conficker virus or someone has accidentally deleted it. WhatI did was that I went to the Desktop properties- Appearance- then change the color scheme. For more details about the steps, you can visit http://nante9.blogspot.com.More power to all us guys!Thank you!
November 3rd, 2009 11:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics