One user with two policies
I have users with desktop redirection policy that is working fine. I have a terminal server for a specific application. I have the user in one OU with the Desktop redirection policy and the terminal server on a different OU with a different policy. When the user logs on to the terminal, the desktop synchronizes with the users icons. I dont want that to happen. I wold like the terminal desktop to stay only with one icon of the specific application it holds and nothing else. How do i stop this?
January 24th, 2013 11:42am

Hello Ron, did you read this KB Loopback processing of Group Policy already ? This is the summary: "Group Policy applies to the user or computer in a manner that depends on where both the user and the computer objects are located in Active Directory. However, in some cases, users may need policy applied to them based on the location of the computer object alone. You can use the Group Policy loopback feature to apply Group Policy Objects (GPOs) that depend only on which computer the user logs on to." Bye, Luca Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2013 5:24pm

Hi, Did you mean you want to stop the folder redirection policy applies to the users who logs on to the terminal server? Correct me if any misunderstanding. If so, you can enable loopback processing with replace mode for the terminal server. If loopback processing policy has enabled on the server, users will not apply their own GPOs but apply the user configuration settings defined for this server(replace mode). Reference link: How to manage Windows Terminal Servers with Group Policy. http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/general/managing-terminal-services-group-policy.html Regards, Cicely
January 25th, 2013 12:54am

Hello Cicely, Ron wrote: "When the user logs on to the terminal, the desktop synchronizes with the users icons. (because it is using Folder Redirection) I dont want that to happen. I wold like the terminal desktop to stay only with one icon of the specific application it holds and nothing else. " So I suggested the Loopback processing of Group Policy. Luca Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
January 25th, 2013 3:16am

Hi, Did you mean you want to stop the folder redirection policy applies to the users who logs on to the terminal server? Correct me if any misunderstanding. If so, you can enable loopback processing with replace mode for the terminal server. If loopback processing policy has enabled on the server, users will not apply their own GPOs but apply the user configuration settings defined for this server(replace mode). Reference link: How to manage Windows Terminal Servers with Group Policy. http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/general/managing-terminal-services-group-policy.html Regards, Cicely
January 25th, 2013 8:46am

Hi Luca, I agree with you, enable loopback processing policy is the way to go. Regards, Cicely
January 27th, 2013 8:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics