One KMS for several Active Directory Domains
Hello, Just wondering how someone would go forward when he wants to setup a single (well maybe two for faulttolerancy) KMS server to host activation requests from different AD Domains (Development, Test, Acceptance, Production environment)in different Forests? All the domains are on the same network but there is no trust relation. Can i simply define a SRV record (_vlmcs._tcp.<my DNS domain>) in each Active Directory /DNS domain which points to a single KMS server? I searched the available documentation but could not find an answer. Kind regards, Jos
January 24th, 2011 5:36pm

Hello, please see: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/bf64da15-7fed-40dd-9bfd-8b672d641eedBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2011 5:57pm

Meinolf, The article you are referring to does not mention KMS in a Mutiple Active Directory environment but talks about multiple DNS domains in an Active Directory. I;m looking for specific informatioen about this. Thanks for your reply anyway. Kind regards, Jos
January 25th, 2011 3:05am

short answer, yes. we do it for our non prod domains, they are routable to production but have no AD trusts. KMS doesnt actually authenticate anything. As long as you can make the clients in one domain do a SRV request for _vlmcs._tcp.domainname and get back an IP that points to the KMS server, your golden. that's just a DNS config issue.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 25th, 2011 4:26am

SJB99 Thanks for the confirmation. Jos
January 25th, 2011 7:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics