On a Windows Server 2008 STD. unable to open up additional ports
I have about 5 to 6 ports opened on a Windows 2008 Server Standard in HyperV mode. I attempted to open additional ports but the ports are not opening at all. I opened the ports using using Windows firewall advance and ran nbtstat -an to ascertain what ports are currently opened and the new ports are not showing up as been opened. I tried several diffferent port numbers but all attempts proved abortive. I appreciate your help in the matter. Thanks.
September 28th, 2010 1:09am

Why do you feel you need these ports? What are they to do? You will only see them in an nbtstat display if something is actually using them for some purpose.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2010 1:28am

Hi nelson, Thanks for posting here. You might like to use “Netsh firewall” with “show” syntax to display and export the local firewall configuration information for each profile, this would include the opened ports information. And nbtstat command would only shows the ports that were be using , not include the ports that were been opened . Netsh Commands for Windows Firewall http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771046(WS.10).aspx#bkmk_showcommands Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 28th, 2010 10:58pm

Hi nelson, Thanks for posting here. You might like to use “Netsh firewall” with “show” syntax to display and export the local firewall configuration information for each profile, this would include the opened ports information. Netsh Commands for Windows Firewall http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771046(WS.10).aspx#bkmk_showcommands Meanwhile, please take look Portqry.exe utility : Description of the Portqry.exe command-line utility http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310099 Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
September 28th, 2010 10:58pm

I think you mis-understood my question. I quite understand how to check for open ports or actively used ports... using netstat -an My question is why am I unable to open additional ports on the Windows 2008 Server Standard running in HyperV. Thanks. Nelson
September 29th, 2010 12:04am

I need the ports to allow access to a Clarion Program. But I don't think that is my issue. My main issue or problem is why I can't open additional ports on the Server. I just need to open port 4024 and for some odd reason the ports are not oening up. thanks. Nelson
September 29th, 2010 12:07am

Hi nelson, Thanks for update. Excuse me, but I’m not quite follow you. How do you know that the addition ports not been opened ? Have you encountered the issue that remote application can’t connect to your server through port 4024? And what if the port would be opened with perform the command line below: netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=”Open Port 4024” dir=<Your requirement> action=allow protocol=<your requirement> localport=4024 Please also use Portqry.exe utility to check the port status on your server. Meanwhile , please set exception to allow Clarion Program pass through. How to use the "netsh advfirewall firewall" context instead of the "netsh firewall" context to control Windows Firewall behavior in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947709 Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 29th, 2010 1:40am

Hi neslon, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 1st, 2010 5:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics