Official Package Store - Package Files Icons w/Padlock, why?

Hi, everyone.

This question is concerning x64 SQL Server 2008 R2 Std/Ent. This feature probably changed in SQL 2012.

MCT here. I had an interesting question pop up in class today. Hopefully someone can give me the answer.

I'm using the normal file-based package store:
(C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Packages\)

QUESTION: Why does the package's icon and its config file icon change to a padlocked package icon??

If I deploy anywhere else, the padlock does not appear. It will have a normal package icon.

Why is this? What does that padlock represent? Is there a shell namespace extension installed into Windows Explorer?

Thanks in advance!

January 10th, 2014 7:29pm

Hi Davin,

Its actually a Windows File System security issue. For a Windows folder or file, the lock icon will occur when there is only one group or user (except for SYSTEM and ServerName\Administators) who has access to the folder or file. Assuming that there are three users/groups who have access to this folder:

• SYSTEM
  • ServerName\ABC
  • ServerName\Administrators

Besides, ServerName\ABC is one member of the ServerName\Administrators group. In this situation, the lock icon appears on this folder. Only if we add one or more arbitrary user or group (such as ServerName\Users, or Authenticated Users, or Network Service), the lock will disappear. This security policy also applies to a single file, however, the behavior may not as expected for a single file or a folder that is not top level because it may inherit the permissions settings from its parent folder.

So, in your scenario, to remove the lock symbols from the .dtsx files, you can either assign permissions to another user/group on each .dtsx file, or do that on their parent folder and open the Advanced permission setting window to check the Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object option.

References:

Regards,
Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 2:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics