Official Microsoft Support dependend on Server Role Installation?
To all MS Technicians,is it true that MS does not provide support to those who install certain roles onone server, i.e. installing Exchange on a DC, or installing File & Print on a DC ?I've been told that in case I have 2 DCs (one providing Exchange as well, the other providing SQL DB As well) are not supported by MS.RegardsAlex
January 30th, 2009 11:54am

Hi, We don't recommend that you install certain roles on one server. As you said: installing Exchange on a DC, or installing File & Print on a DC...... Because this may cause some unexpected errors. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2009 1:08pm

Dear Vincent,thanks for your reply. Does "not recommended" mean "not supported" in case any problems occur?We're having a lifely discussion about this issue in our IT department and I'm still looking for an official statement by MS.Alex
January 30th, 2009 1:21pm

Hi, It depends. But I recommend that you follow the instruction of MS. This will guid you to ensure business is done in a wise way without unnecessary risks/losses. Best regards,Vincent Hu
January 30th, 2009 2:11pm

You can run file and print on a DC. You can run Exchange on a DC. You can run SQL on a DC. It is not "unsupported" but it is not an optimal situation, and it makes MS Support cranky. I spent 10 years as consultant with an MS Gold Partner setting up and supporting networks for small companies. One of the most important things I learned is that most of MS support has never been in the field. They have never dealt with environments that are too big for SBS and too small to keep your DC from doing File and Print. They will forever complain about your configuration. All that having been said NEVER LOAD ISA ON YOUR DC!
January 30th, 2009 7:13pm

Thanks for your reply. Now I have the picture :-)Alex
February 5th, 2009 12:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics