Office not responding when using open or save-as
I'm not a computer expert, but I will try to explain the symptoms. We bought a server with 2008 R2 Standard a couple months ago. Our terminals connect with RDP. The problem is with Excel and Word 2007. It's been happening since the beginning. Sometimes (about 10% of the time) when we use open or save-as excel/word will freeze on the file browser window. Task manager says not responding. The only thing we can do is end task, we tried waiting 30 minutes already. If we go to My Computer and double click on the file, it will open fine. If we use save instead of save-as, it will save fine. The problem is that for some of our users, going to my computer to open, make a copy of a file, rename, move to another folder, etc would be too complicated. They need to use open and save-as. Is this a common problem? Could you help me troubleshoot? What could be the cause? Let me know if you need more information.
July 28th, 2010 3:43am

Hi Daniel, Please try to perform a clean boot of the computer and try to use office and see whether the problem persists. Please follow the steps below to perform a clean boot. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. 1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup. 3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. 4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. 5. Click OK. 6. When you are prompted, click Restart. 7. After the computer starts, start the installation of the features and check whether the problem is resolved. Please also disable the anti-virus software in case of any failures. After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual: a. Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. b. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK. c. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart. If it won’t work, you may also try to reinstall Office 2007. Since the problem is also related to Office. I suggest also asking the question in the Office forum. Here’s the link for your convenience. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/officeitpro The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who access the forum regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding. Regards, Karen JiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2010 6:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics