Office 365 on RDS

Iam having hard time believing that Office 365 ProPlus has quacks on RDS when using roaming profiles. I have configured my office 365 proplus on RDS and is working well except for one issue. My users are asked sign in every time they logoff and log back on to a new RDS session. 

My RDS farm has a couple servers and we use roaming profiles. Appdata redirection is not enabled. Profiles are deleted on the local RDS server when the user logs out.

I have noted that licence file is downloaded as expected in the local appdata folder. However when user logs out, the %localappdata% is discarded and profile is deleted on the local server.   As a result the Office 365 needs to reauthenticate and download the next day or next time they log in again.

I have implemented a login/logoff script which copies the licence file in the %localappdata% and restores it on login. This works to a certain extent. It works if the users session remains on the same server where the initial login was done. If the user is redirected to another server, then the login batch file is rendered useless because the wrong file would be restored by my login script.

A fellow has suggested using user profile disks as an alternative. But am not sure if this will indeed solve my problem.  How was this meant to work, iam sure this has been done and is working somewhere with roaming pro

July 30th, 2015 9:50am

Hi Herbert,

I have noted that licence file is downloaded as expected in the local appdata folder. However when user logs out, the %localappdata% is discarded and profile is deleted on the local server.

Have you checked the license file on the file share where roaming profile is located? Does it remain there after users log off?

To prevent local copy of user profile from being deleted after users log off, please disable this group policy setting Delete cached copies of roaming profiles for Terminal Servers, which is under Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles.

Best Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 9:02am

Hi Amy

iam aware of this setting and and it is enabled for a specific reason. Yes that would solve my problem but it is not the ideal solution. I was hoping you would tell me or find out why the licence does not roam on terminal services what can be done to make it roam.

August 5th, 2015 1:36am

Me too!

I'm having a similar problem. Though it's been partially solved by updating office 365 to the latest patch (15.0.4737.1003)

My users can now login to the RDS server and run office 365 and get asked to sign in.  They can log off and back on again and don't get asked to sign back into office again. 

However if the RDS server is rebooted users are asked to sign into office again.  Really annoying and I too find it hard to believe that 365 can't handle roaming profiles.

Would love an answer on how to make 365 roam without constantly having to sign in.

Regards

Christian Storr

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 6th, 2015 9:32am

Hi Herbert,

I was hoping you would tell me or find out why the licence does not roam on terminal services what can be done to make it roam.

Frankly, I am not sure whether Office 365 licensing information would roam successfully in remote desktop environment, it is up to Office 365 program vendors.

Therefore, I strongly suggest you refer to experts from Office 365 community below to get more professional support regarding the field.

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f

Best Regards,

Amy

August 6th, 2015 11:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics