Office 365 - change local domain when already using DirSync

Hi,

We are using O365 with DirSync. Nothing odd or strange. However it has been decided to rename (or rebuild) the domain name. Company is changing its branding. Long boring storey. Anyway, so I would imagine I will have to stop synchronising the domain, rebuild/rename the domain and then set backup DirSync. So my question is, will Office 365 be able to cope with that? Anything I should know?! The company email domain is not changing, just the local domain.

Any suggests would be welcome!

March 20th, 2015 5:12am

I am not 100% sure, as this is not something that happens everyday, but I am pretty confident that you may have to treat this as a new setup for all intends and purposes. I am not sure how MS will migrate your mail, if any, but the O365 will have to be setup from scratch.

I would like to know how it goes.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2015 3:12pm

If you are keeping the existing user accounts you shouldn't encounter too many issues. The object GUID will stay the same, and this will match up to the ImmutableID in O365. All you would do is re-install DirSync (or AAD Sync), kick off the initial sync and watch the joins occur. Alternatively, you can manually run the syncs so you can look at all the pending exports before they get pushed out. 

If you are planning on updating the user principal name/login name you may encounter some issues. If a user has a license, and you update the on-prem UPN and force a sync to try and rename, it will fail. You will need to manually rename the UPN in O365 using PowerShell, this is the only way to update UPN for users with a license. You will also probably need to add a new accepted domain if this is the case. 

March 23rd, 2015 8:46pm

Hi Guys,

So the domain rename went fine (using rendom). However when I try and run Windows Azure Active Directory Sync (WaaD, formally DirSync),  I get an error code of 1355, which basically means the domain it is trying to talk to doesnt exist. Which is correct, it doesnt! I ran the WaaD installer over the top but got the same error. I uninstalled, restarted and now it doesnt install.

I did some more digging and I think is is becuase I did not "deactivate" password sync before hand. O365 still has the ImmutateIDs which have now all changed. It will take three days for this to finish. I have added my old local domain name as an additoanl UPN in Domains and Trusts. So when I syncronise again in a couple of days users "should" we able to use their existing Outlook login username.

I shall let you know how I get on!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 24th, 2015 6:01am

Right then,

As I suspected, I had to deactivate O365 for password sync. I then had to uninstall DirSync, delete the Windows Azure folder under C:\Program Files, delete the users and groups it creates during the install, plus the databases on the local machine. I also added the additional UPN in AD of the old domain name, so O365 users can sign in with their old username. I could then re-install WaaD and sync back up to Office365. All good!

March 30th, 2015 6:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics