Odd problem, must log in every day on one computer, but not the other.
I know my topic was a little vague, but I didn't want it to be a mile long either :). I have a customer who is running a Windows Server 2003 machine, and two computers that connect to it. Both of those systems are running Windows XP Professional. Their main reason for using a server is that they have a Peachtree accounting software setup, where it needs a server to share data between the two systems at once. We just replaced both of their machines (not the server) with faster machines, but still ones that are running XP Pro. The problem I'm having (that nobody can seem to help me with) is that when machine#1 opens the accounting software, it opens just fine.... however, when machine#2 opens the software, it tells the user that they do not have permission to open the file from the server. The only way to remedy this is to open up My Computer, access one of the network drives in the server, and type in the server's password. Then that machine is fine until they restart or turn it off for the day and turn it back on the next morning. They never had this problem before with the old machines, and now only machine#2 is having the problem. I'm sure its just a setting I'm missing somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it. Any suggestions?
January 24th, 2010 10:45pm

Sounds like a workgroup setup? And that the autologon username and passwords don't match exactly (server and client machines). Might also be the mapped drive is set to Reconnect at logon is selected with incorrect credentials. From the command line net use /persist:no then after restart try mapping the drive again.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2010 11:27pm

Hi Sp4rt4n,It seems this is caused by a permission issue. Did the machine#2 use a different password with machine#1? Are they using a same user name to remote logon the Windows Server 2003? If so, you might grant the software folder where you map the network drives "modify" permission to "Users(Servername\Users)" to workaround this issue.Hope it helps.Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 26th, 2010 6:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics