OLEDB Connection Manager Error using SSIS

Im getting the following error when trying to EDIT a OLEDB Connection Manager. I am using VS2010. Im not coming up with any answers to this problem. I just reinstalled SQL SERVER CLIENT TOOLS 2012 That includes the SQL DATA TOOLS/VS 2010 But I still receive this error.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.
Error:
Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed. (System.Data)

September 3rd, 2015 4:24pm

Hi Desigal,

How would I be able to reproduce this error?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 5:20pm

Hi Desigal59,

Based on my research, the error Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed. (System.Data) always caused by having and additional, self terminating node in the machine.config file.

You could find a multitude of machine.config files based on how many versions of the framework are installed, including 32 and 64 bit variants at the place:
\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\vXXXX\machine.config

The machine.config file has the following configuration file fragment:
<system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
        <add name="Odbc Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.Odbc" ... />
        <add name="OleDb Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OleDb" ... />
        <add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data ... />
        <add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data ... />
        <add name="IBM DB2 for i .NET Provider" invariant="IBM.Data ... />
        <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider" ... />    
    </DbProviderFactories>
    <DbProviderFactories/>  //remove this one
</system.data>

Notice the CLOSING tag at end of the <DProviderFactories> last item, in this case the "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider", and then there's another SELF CLOSING <DBProviderFactories> tag.  Clean this up by keeping the one after the last item and deleting the self closing one at the end can fix this issue.

References:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9928361/unable-to-find-the-requested-net-framework-data-provider-in-visual-studio-2010
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7b4f353b-77fd-427c-976b-5968abc88c13/visual-studio-2010-unable-to-find-the-requested-net-framework-data-provider-for-sql?forum=vseditor
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd0w4a2z(v=vs.90).aspx

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

September 3rd, 2015 11:01pm

Hi Desigal59,

The key bit is this: "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed. (System.Data)"

System.Data is a core .NET assembly and when the system is trying to access it (e.g. when configuring a connection) it's failing.

your .NET framework has become corrupted. Try reinstalling .NET Frameworks 3.5 and / or 4.0

Just try reinstalling .NET framework which will solve your issue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics