OK to rename a *workgroup* Windows 2k3 server running SQL, DNS, DHCP?
My customer has a Windows 2k3 Standard SP2 server which is a member of a workgroup, not a domain. The server is running SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 (both SQLsare for line of business apps). The server also provides DNS and DHCP for the network. The server unfortunately has the same name as their primaryline of business app, which leads to lots of confusion. I'd like to rename the server. What problems should I anticipate? Thanks for your help! Frank
September 23rd, 2009 11:45pm

Hi Frank, My experience with SQL is the databases are linked to the server, by the server name. If you change the name of the server, your databases may not work correctly anymore, so I would research this aspect a bit more. The only thing I can see is the possibility of any mapped drives or other ways the users might be accessing shares on the server. You would have to remap them, as the \\<server_name> is what is changing. I am sure others can give you a better overview, but this at least gives you a place to start. Good luck.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2009 12:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics