Number of NICs required to support Hyper-V, RDS, and Remote Access (VPN)

Please let me know if this is posted in the correct forum.

We have a single server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.  Intel Xeon E3-1225 CPU with 8GB of ram.  Maximum of 10 users on the local network.

Running it in a workgroup setting right now. 4 500GB hard drives, three in a RAID-5 setup, and the fourth as a hot spare.  

Currently have two NICs in the server.  1st one is the on-board Intel I217-LM 1.0 Gbps NIC/Port.  2nd one is an HP NC112T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter, currently running at 100 Mbps, for some reason. (I've downloaded the most recent drivers for the HP NIC, and will update them when I have a chance.) Not really using the HP NIC at this point, as I have not set up Remote Access Server yet, which was the original reason for the purchase of the HP NIC.

The server is currently running our dental office practice management system, a Sybase-based database, and is functioning as a Remote Desktop Server for access to the practice management system from our satellite offices.  We have at most 3 users connected to the Remote Desktop Server at any one time.

I would like to make use of Hyper-V so I can set up Active Directory, as managing RDS is much easier under Active Directory than via a workgroup setting.  In reading the "Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2" book I've got, I see that two NICs are recommended for HyperV, one for use by the VMs, and one for the HyperV host.  I also see that Remote Access Server (VPN, etc) is easier to set up and manage with two NICs.

My question is: How many NICs do I need for this scenario? 2, 3, or 4?

September 8th, 2015 6:18pm

It is recommended for a Hyper-v server to have two NICs so that you can use one for managing the server and the other for the VMs to communicate out. However - you only need one NIC for it to work.

So, you only need one NIC. But your two NIC Server will work just fine!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 7:06pm

Thanks.  

Still has me wondering if I will need more than the two I have, when I add Remote Access Server to the mix.  I'm thinking I'll need at least one more, for the VPN connection itself. All the info I've been reading on setting up VPN service says I need two NICs for that on the server.

I'd love to be able to set up DirectAccess, as that seems to be the best option, and easiest to use on the client side.  Unfortunately, it requires Windows 7, 8, or 10 Enterprise on the client side, which we're not running. 

September 8th, 2015 7:45pm

Hi Carroll McAllister,

Additional, It is not recommended install other role with Hyper-V server role, and for the RRAS the two NIC adapter also the standard install method, therefore you can use two NIC adapter in your current environment.

More information:

Remote Access Deployment Part 2: Configuring RRAS as a VPN server

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2009/03/25/remote-access-deployment-part-2-configuring-rras-as-a-vpn-server.aspx

RRAS Role on a Single NIC 2008 R2 DC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/85d03582-77bd-4c82-a1de-f43356ba90ba/rras-role-on-a-single-nic-2008-r2-dc?forum=winserverNIS

Im glad to be of help to you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 2:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics