Null pointer exception fatal error in PP model deployed to SP2013

I have a PowerPivot solution built in Excel 2013, which I have deployed to a SharePoint 2013 single server farm, which is also running SSIS/SSRS/SSAS 2014. 

I have configured data refresh jobs, which are running successfully, according to the PP management dashboard in SP.

I attempted to open the file from the document store in SP directly, and when I went to make modifications to the data model, tom horror I was greeted with "We couldn't load the data model. This may be because the Data Model in this workbook is damaged". Further clicks on the OK button provide a bit more context.

============================
Error Message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.CannotUpgrade(GeminiWorkbook geminiWb, WorkbookConnectionwbConn, String& message)
   at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
   at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSafeSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
   at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadOLEDBConnection(Boolean raiseCompleteEvent, String errorCache)

Unfortunately I've seen this before, and unfortunately it's been fatal. Fortunately since the last time I've seen this, I've become a bit more adventurous. Here's what I've done, and I'd really appreciate some community help to take this the last few inches to a conclusion. Maybe some help from the Office team, since you're 15 minutes from my office :)

Using Visual Studio, I can see that the data model itself is intact. I was able to start a new solution using the supposed corrupt file as a starting point. That's a good thing, but I don't know how to recycle it into a new Excel file so I don't lose all of the work I've put into it.

Using SQL Management Studio, using SELECT * FROM [PowerPivotServiceApplication1_endpoint].[dbo].[Versions] I can see that the reported Version is 12.0.1.0.

Also using SQL Management Studio, I can see that the server version for the server used for PowerPivot is 12.0.2000. I wonder if this version disparity is causing Excel to want to upgrade my file, and this is triggering a larger issue?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that PP for SP2010 was not supported in a single server farm. I don't know if the same is true for SP2013, and frankly don't care (at this point, since all I am after right now is my data model back). I'm wondering if the SP data refresh jobs are causing this, and the null exception is maybe a pointer to a second server in the "farm" that doesn't exist.

Lastly, I am more than willing to make changes to the underlying XML files that make up the XLSX file. If there's a way to know where the null value is being referenced (if possible) and make it go away, that would be stellar. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm very willing to go down deep rabbit holes, sit with devs, whatever it takes.

Thanks 

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I'm 

June 13th, 2014 7:21pm

Torben,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2014 9:01pm

Yes, it's still an issue. Anything you can do to help?
July 11th, 2014 9:03pm

I asked for some more help. Thanks!
August 21st, 2014 1:38am

Using Visual Studio BIDS/SDT?
August 21st, 2014 10:55pm

Hi Ed, 

Sorry but I don't understand what your frame of reference is. Are you asking if I'm using BIDS or SDT and that is causing the problem? Or are you asking whether I'm using either of those two tools and that will help with a solution?

I am using SSMS and SDT/VS2012 if that's helpful at all.

August 21st, 2014 11:47pm

Thanks. We couldn't find anyone who knew this.

Have you figure it out any?

Thanks!

October 23rd, 2014 11:08pm

Ed I haven't figured it out - it continues to be an issue from what I can tell. The only way to save the data model is to suck it into SSAS but the problem is you can't stuff it back into Excel as a PP model. 
October 24th, 2014 12:16pm

We're still looking for an answer for this.
December 13th, 2014 2:16am

I'm trying again. Thanks!
December 31st, 2014 2:43am

I submitted a request to get help on this. Thanks!
January 6th, 2015 7:01pm

Torben, is this still an issue? I haven't been having any luck finding an SME for this one.

Thanks!

January 6th, 2015 7:02pm

Yup, still an issue. Got more workbooks that have been similarly affected
January 6th, 2015 7:23pm

Here's one thought...

Because the error occurs with more workbooks, the reason is probably external to the files, model etc. but common to it, such as permissions or user specific policies on his workstation or servers involved, This Microsoft Excel Support Team Blog article is an example of a cause for a similar seemingly scary error message:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2013/08/27/powerpivot-for-excel-2013-error-when-opening-the-manage-window-quot-we-couldn-t-load-the-data-model-this-may-be-because-the-data-model-in-this-workgroup-is-damaged-quot.aspx 

January 20th, 2015 4:08am

I considered that Ed but it's not the case. There's an another thing that occurs when you implement workbook security with similar results but is not related to this. 
February 4th, 2015 7:26pm

Anybody else have a suggestion for Torben? =^)
February 12th, 2015 8:10pm

Torben, have you been able to try anything else for this?

Thanks!

April 2nd, 2015 6:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics