NtFrs Error ID: 13568
Have a single Server 2003 R2 running DHCP, DNS. Just recently have been getting the following error: Event Type: Error Event Source: NtFrs Event Category: None Event ID: 13568 Date: 11/16/2007 Time: 7:41:15 PM User: N/A Computer: CHOICE Description: The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR. Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain" Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:" A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons. [1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted. [2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted. [3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal. [4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time. [5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:". Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state. [1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service. [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set. I really do not want to touch anything before knowing if this is something serious, or something I can easily do on my own during downtime if needed. Again, it's the only Server / DC for this network. I hope I have the right forum. Somewhat urgent, all help / advice is appreciated. Thank you - Steve.
April 19th, 2010 2:55pm

Hi SCNetworks, Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum. According to the event ID:13568, it indicates that there is a domain controller is in a journal wrap state. To troubleshoot the cause of a journal wrap, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Troubleshooting Journal_Wrap Errors on Sysvol and DFS Replica Sets http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292438 After you determine the cause of a journal wrap or after you have taken steps to prevent future journal wraps, at a convenient time, make the following changes to the registry: 1. Stop FRS. 2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). 3. Locate and click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore/Process at Startup 4. On the Edit menu, click Add Value , and then add the following registry value: Value name: BurFlags Data type: REG_DWORD Radix: Hexadecimal Value data: D2 5. Quit Registry Editor. 6. Restart FRS. Sincerely, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2010 9:31pm

Dear Customer, I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request. Thanks. Sincerely Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
April 23rd, 2010 5:27am

Thank you Wilson, I had set this thread to send me an email if someone replied - I did not get one for some reason. I will try this fix this weekend and let you know the outcome. Before I do, just to be sure - this is a Standalone DC, no backup DC's from which to draw a replica set. The above should work on a Standalone? Thank you again, and just being cautious ... Steve.
April 23rd, 2010 7:40am

Steve, Did this work for you? I'm having the same scenario and there is only one domain controller in this domain. It never replicated to another machine so I think the journal wrap wasn't detected. After having passed all DcDiag and NetDiag tests I have added another domain controller but cannot get the first to replicate to the new. I'm investigating this issue and fix and would appreciate hearing if it worked for you this passed weekend. Thanks, George
April 27th, 2010 2:05pm

i have the same environment as you described and problem is successfully resolved. on e of the reason for AD to become in WRAP_ERROR_State is when your AD is in VM and you have restore snapshot on it.
March 25th, 2011 2:14pm

I have the same scenario (One DC) and the solution worked properly, thanks a lot Wilson.
July 20th, 2012 10:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics