Novice Question: How to set up Win2008 Networking
Hello Friends I am new to networking and I am basically trying to set up a File, Print Server (and a small database very soon) for my home/office network of 2 PCs nd 2 Laptops (all Win7). In a month's time we will add 5 more PCs (fat client) / use nComputing VDI solution (which will access the accounting software from the SERVER) The Server Hardware is Dual Core Intel E5300 with 4 GB of RAM, 2 HDD (160GB-OS; 1TB-Data), 1 NIC (10/100), Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard The Current Network Setup is as follows- ADSL Modem - Linksys 802.11g Router #1 on 3rd Floor (DHCP enabled) >>connected by wire to Linksys 802.11g Router on Floor#1 (DHCP disbled) >>> which is physically connected to the PCs and the Server (all new PCS to be installed will be in this floor only) Please let me know if I need a static IP on the Server (I have xtra NIC lying around) and why ? I can currently access the Server anytime by Using The Computer name (\\Server in this case) and using RDP from the Win7 machines If I need Static IP how do I configure the network then ? 1. What Services do I need to enable on the Server 2. How do I physically design the network then? 3. I have laptops / Cell Phones on both the 3rd and 1st floor, can they access the internet when the Server is OFF (if static IP will mean disabling the DHCP on the Router # 1 on 3rd floor ? ) Thank you for your patience nd I apologize if this question is too vague / not meant for this forum
June 27th, 2010 1:58pm

Basically your DHCP server must hand out static address of AD server as primary DNS server address so clients can find DC. Then put the ISP's DNS addresses in the forward lookup of your DNS server so clients can find internet. Also make sure your server has static IP address outside of DHCP scope. Installing Active Directory on Windows Server 2008 http://www.petri.co.il/installing-active-directory-windows-server-2008.htm Please post back with any specific questions. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2010 6:13pm

Do I need to install 2 NICs on the Server for doing this or this can be done from a single NIC also? In case it needs 2 NICs will the second NIC connect to a new router / switch ? Thanks
June 28th, 2010 9:53am

Better to not multi-home. Use only one NIC. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2010 4:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics