Notification Area
Setup: Virtual Server 2008 R2 / no service pack / SQL 2008 Reporting services. 2x proc/2gbRam/60gb OS with 60gb additional drive. Randomly, the Notification Area beside the time shows empty icons. I've set my "Always show all icons and notifications..." but the items are just blank. I have McAfee / HP Tools / VMware Tools, sound is disabled. Sometimes after a restart, the area where McAfee icon should be, is blank. Just taking up space. Then other times, the Network Connection Icon area is just blank. Any suggestions?Charlie Hawkins
April 8th, 2011 12:39am

Hi Charlie- I've seen this problem on Windows XP. Usually related to theme/color scheme. Might be similar on Server 2008 R2. Try the following: Right-click the task bar and lock it. Change the color scheme (especially if using High Contrast). Also see the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321213 Hope that helps! Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2011 6:56am

Hi, Please refer to the following Microsoft KB article to troubleshoot this issue: System icons do not appear in the notification area in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 until you restart the computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 8th, 2011 8:30am

Arthur_Li, 1 - This article does not refer specifically to Windows 2008 R2. I understand they are both very similar, however the article does not mention any support for Server 2008 R2, only Windows Vista & Windows 7. 2 - This issue occurs immediately after a restart/login. 3 - The icon areas that randomly blank out are not specific to Network/Volume/Power. It is random with all my notification area icons. 4 - Appears to be happening across the whole domain. In the image link below, the following icons are missing/appear blank. When I hover my mouse or right-click in these blank areas there is no response. - VMWare tools, Windows Network, Power and HP Network. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_SfHj6dmc0TI/TahPaiPx_7I/AAAAAAAAC-U/L-L6k6O9Eog/iconnotificationarea2.jpg ThanksCharlie Hawkins
April 15th, 2011 5:17pm

Hi, Please also create a new user account to test the issue to determine if the profile is damaged. If the profile is good, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is any third party software conflicts. How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 18th, 2011 6:31am

I will test another set of users and a new profile, I'll compare local and domain profiles. I will also try the cold boot option. however again, the article mentioned only windows vista\windows 7. If they do actually refer to 2008 I wish they would input that information.Charlie Hawkins
April 18th, 2011 2:42pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 22nd, 2011 11:21am

FYI, thanks for the information. After being able to spend a little more time with, I removed the profiles for this user across several systems on the domain, re-created it and the icon area is operating properly. Thanks againCharlie Hawkins
June 27th, 2011 2:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics