Not Seeing Network Neighborhood across Cisco Routers
I have two servers running windows server 2008, a wookstation running windows 7 and a laptop running windows xp, this is a lab enviroment, I'm working on my MCITP-Enterprise admin cert. One server and work station are on one side of the router, laptop and server on the other side of the router, the router is a cisco 3620 configured with ip rip, Interface 1 10.1.1.150 - 255.255.255.0, interface 2, 10.1.2.150 - 255.255.255.0. I can see the server and workstation in network neighborhood on one side, and laptop and server in network neighborhood on the other, but I can't see either side from the other. Now I know that LLTP is layer2, so I know it's not routable, but one would think there is a way to see all servers and workstations across the entire network. I have even investigated multicast routing, but I'm not sure that is the solution. I also setup wins servers and configured the workstations to use them, but still nothing, I have a feeling this is a router issue, but what should I be routing that I'm not? Anybody out there have any thoughts, I'm at my witts end with this. Thanks in advance for any advice
May 30th, 2011 4:36pm

Hello, if you talk about network browsing via Explorer, then WINS is required over subnets. Additional make sure the computer browser is enabled, by default disabled on Windows Vista/Server 2008 and higher. Also enable NetBios over TCP/IP on the NIC settings of the machines.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2011 5:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics