North Europe full? Can't create storage account

Just got the following error when trying to create a storage account in North Europe through portal.azure.com:

{"error":{"code":"NoRegisteredProviderFound","message":"No registered resource provider found for location 'northeurope' and API version '2014-04-01' for type 'storageAccounts/services'. The supported api-versions are '2014-04-01'. The supported locations are 'eastus, westus, eastus2stage, westeurope, eastasia, southeastasia, japaneast, japanwest, northcentralus, southcentralus, eastus2, centralus, australiaeast, australiasoutheast, brazilsouth'."}}

North Europe is missing from that list. Is this a known issue?

September 2nd, 2015 5:53pm

What type of Storage account do you try to create : Standard Storage (LRS, GRS...) or Premium Storage ? (Premium Storage is not supported on NorthEurope)

Are you using the Classic mode or the ARM mode ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 4:35am

I was trying to create a standard storage account (GRS) using the resource manager mode. I gave up in the end and created it using the classic portal (which creates it in classic mode).

The strange thing is that the storage account name now cannot be used elsewhere, so it's saved something, there's just no way to access it.

September 3rd, 2015 4:39am

The storage account names are public, this is why you can access your storage account name from anywhere on the public internet (Example : https://samirfarhat.blob.core.windows.net/)

So if somenone used this name, you cannot reuse it.

Actually, there is an issue with the ARM storage account creation using the portal.

You can use Powershell the time that the issue is solved my Microsoft:

How ?

1- Download Azure Powershell

2- Open the Azure Poweshell window

Add-AzureAccount
Select-AzureSubscription -Name 'Nameof your subscription'
Switch-AzureMode AzureResourceManager
New-AzureStorageAccount -ResourceGroupName 'RGNAME' -Name 'xxxxxxxxx' -Type Standard_LRS -location northeurope

September 3rd, 2015 5:00am

The storage account names are public, this is why you can access your storage account name from anywhere on the public internet (Example : https://samirfarhat.blob.core.windows.net/)

I understand that they're public, what I'm saying is that it was available before I tried using it, but since I tried creating it it is no longer showing as available, so some artefact of it has been created and not cleaned up yet.

I'll settle for the classic portal for now until it's fixed thanks.

September 3rd, 2015 5:06am

DO not forget, Classic and ARM objects are not compatible. That means you will not be able to create an ARM VM on a classic storage account and vise-versa.

So, if you are planing to use ARM resources, keep it in mind.

September 3rd, 2015 5:11am

I was trying to create a standard storage account (GRS) using the resource manager mode. I gave up in the end and created it using the classic portal (which creates it in classic mode).

The strange thing is that the storage account name now cannot be used elsewhere, so it's saved something, there's just no way to access it.

• Edited by MatthewSteeples Thursday, September 03, 2015 8:45 AM Add more detail
September 3rd, 2015 8:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics