Normal program as service
Hello, I want start few programs as service. Is it possible to make normal program as service? I tried with sc.exe, but I keep getting timeout when I try starting them. If it's not possible, what other solutions I'd have?n00b for life
December 6th, 2009 10:56pm

Hi K_L,The SC command wont work unless you program the code as a service. In other words if you are coding your own program you need to code your exe as a service and then you can use SC command to launch the exe as a service.Otherwise it is not possible for you to launch any programs as service.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 7th, 2009 4:43am

Hello and thanks for your answer. I figured as much but had to be sure. What kind of solutions would I have to make normal software run at boot. And making sure that it keeps running, if failure should occur? Basically it needs to start without login.n00b for life
December 7th, 2009 9:02am

Hi K_L,Thanks for the info.I would say that , you need to understand the windows architecture basics at the first instance to know more about using your applications. I would require the following a) At what stage do you want the applciation to run ? , becuase windows logon process is pretty complex and when do you want to load your application and why ?b) you can use winlogon and add userinit to add your own programs and to know more about , please follow the below link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939862.aspx
December 7th, 2009 10:58am

Hello and thanks for your answer. Indeed some (read large) parts of the Windows achitectre are bit out of touch with me. Until now we have been running the programs controlled by 3rd party software. Trying to run them as service seemed like natural choise due to similarity in operations. The programs need to start when the server boots up. Of course we could do simple autologin on boot and run the program with startup. n00b for life
December 7th, 2009 1:08pm

Hi,Did you had a chance to go through the suggestion of using Userinit ?
December 8th, 2009 5:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics