Noob Question for MS server 2003
I am new to servers and I recently purchased a HP dl360 server to try it out and see how it will work for my business. I have a small business and would like to set up the server at my house to run my computers at home and also set up a vpn so my partner can log onto it from his house as well. Let me see if I can explain how I would like to set it up and see if anyone can help. I want to be able to log in to any of my 2 desk tops at home and my laptop (all running windows xp pro x64) and be able to have the same desk top on each computer (aka I would like all my files to be assessable from any computer without searching through the shared files. Like say my user name is John I would like that user name to work on any computer in my house. Then also be able to log into my home network from a computer at a different location (vpn ?) I am thinking I need to plug my modem directly into the server and then in port 2 hook up my wireless router and turn off the dhcp setting on it. Or I also have a 4 port switch if that would be better than the router. So from there what do I need to do to set it up? Thanks in advance for the help, John
May 22nd, 2011 10:17pm

If you are just starting it won't be the easiest task for start. You can setup Active Directory at command promp run dcpromo setup is quite easy (read technet articles on what to do in each step). Setup GPO to do folder redirection "My Documents" and "Desktop" should be sufficient for you. For allowing your partent to log in remote you have to install Routing and Remote Access (I would advice to setup PPTP endpoint - easier to setup and troubleshoot) My answer is quite general but I think with help of technet you can do it With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2011 10:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics