Nobody can see my site, ping or trace my server any more. please help!!!
I have a windows 2008 server running smoothly for some months.On October 24, I installed some security updates from Microsoft. At the same time, a trial of AVG that I've installed on my server expired.I uninstalled AVG, but at the end I saw that some files and the AVG ndis driver was not successfully removed.From that time nobody can see my site, ping or trace my server.Can somebody help me how to solve this problem?Thanks,Stelios
November 4th, 2008 12:50am

Stelios,What components of AVG were installed. I am wondering if the firewall aspect of AVG was installed, and when it was uninstalled, the Windows Firewall turned on with all the default settings, to where you would not be able to ping, trance or possibly see the site. You may want to check on the firewall settings, as this may be a easy fix to this.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 4th, 2008 1:02am

Really I don't remember if I installed the AVG firewall. I think not.At the end of unintall procedure I've got some alert telling that: avg ndis driver was not succesfully uninstalled, an .inf file and a .sys file ws not unregistered.
November 4th, 2008 1:13am

Check if IPv6 is enabled for your NICs. If so, disable it and test for connectivity again.Regards,Salvador Manaois III MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin Bytes & Badz : http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com
November 4th, 2008 1:50pm

I disabled IPv6 from the properties of both NICs (unchecked the checkbox), but the problem still remains.I also manually deleted all the AVG entries that I found in the registry.I'm wondering if some of the Windows updates created the problem. Is it propable?Stelios
November 4th, 2008 2:42pm

try safe mode with netturn off windows firewall temporarilyif you have teamed NICs, break the teaming and test each individual NICcan the server ping out to any other machines on the network or is the problem just one-way?as mentioned earlier, go to the connection properties of each NIC and make sure there is no protocol or services from AVG binded to your NICs, if there is, uncheck then uninstall themroll back your NIC drivers, restart, and re-install them againanything abnormal in device manager or event viewer?
November 4th, 2008 7:07pm

In the Network and Sharing Center, check the status of the interface. You may see that your interface is listed as local only, or that the network is "Unidentified". If NLAfailed to identify the network duringstartup, it probably applied the"Public" firewall profile, which is highly restrictive to inbound traffic.There are three firewall policies on a Windows 2008 server. Clicking the link under "Network and Sharing Center" to turn off the firewall does not disable all three. You can manage thedifferent policiesunder "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" under Administrative Tools.If the network is unidentied and in a public profile, you can modify this in the Network and Sharing Center. Michael O'Donnell, Sr. Support Engineer, Microsoft, Commercial Technical Support, Platforms Networking Team
November 4th, 2008 11:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics